KRK RP5 G3 Vs. M-Audio BX5a

soloboy

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a pair of monitor speakers and I've searched a while from google and figured rp5 and bx5 would be a fine way to set.

It is basically for sequencing(Beat making), recording, mixing and mastering and heard bx5's 7~10Khz range's a bit spiky.

anyways I have red some articles & threads about it, saying it really depends on individual, but since I have never used a monitor speaker before I'm kinda afraid to select a gear with my own opinion.

I'm using M-Audio's Fast track mark 2 yet but further I will get Focusrite's Saffire Pro and also will use the monitor speaker connected on Saffire Pro.

I don't know if it really matters but, for information I normally make hip hop beats(not trap) and record rap vocals and also mix & master both of works by my own.

I can increase my budget so don't care if it's below 1000$.

also looking forward about KRK VXT4 but can't figure what would be great for me. :(

anyways hope anybody can help with my decision

btw my room size might be around 10m2~13m2

Hi, When I was in the market for monitors I listened to as many different brands as I could in my price range. (This was advice I received on here and on another forum) There are a lot of good products out there. I stay away from M-Audio products due to a bad experience with one of their interfaces also there was no M-Audio service center near me. The closest one was over two thousand miles away. I bought the KRK 6s.(G-2) I preferred VTX 6s but couldn't afford them at the time. The KRK 5s were too weak sounding for my needs. The KRK 8s were physically too big for my space, so the 6s were a good compromise. I'm also very happy with them. I liked them better then the Yamaha 6s. I heard the newer JBLs and they sound good as well. I'm not too sure of KRK products now that Gibson has bought the company. My brother used to work for Gibson in Nashville, he said they usually cheapen a product once they take over a company. Regardless of your monitor choice "you will need to acoustically treat your room". this is a good place to begin your research on that topic https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...oustic-treatment/small-room-acoustics-365127/. I replaced the M-Audio interface with the Focusrite Pro-40 and couldn't be happier with it. Hope this helps. :thumbs up:

Beware that most monitors at 6.5" and smaller have no bass response. Many people wire a sub into the setup to get the lower frequencies. There's a lot of discussion on this forum about monitors, and specifically these entry level models.

I had the m-audio bx5's for about a year then upgraded to larger 8" monitors, and still needed a sub. The bx5 are fine for the price (got mine for $200/pair). If you need low end response, expect to need a sub. Getting the sub to work is likely going to require getting over a few more minor hurtles.

you'll hear it over and over...fix your room up, setup your monitors.
as for speakers Ive had both those and agree they dont have the bass you might want, but add a sub and its another world and really impressive. v4 usually have a sub with them.

for a nearfield monitor 4,5,6,7,8 is the norm, midfield gets larger 10"+, far field are PA setups/live, etc.. as I understand it. So 6 are the center size for the 3ft triangle/ nearfield and is why a lot of them are that size.
here's a Ethan link, alot of good info. for starter setup to advanced.
RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room

I would consider looking at some used Focals, Dynaudio, Neumann or Adam X series. They are in your price range used, just make sure they are in good condition. I got my Adam A7xs for 1100.00 (pair) Like new condition.

Go to some music stores and listen to the difference.

I started with Rokit 5's and moved to 8's. The 8's are MUCH tighter (mine are G2 and the G3 is flatter, tamer, superior). Having said that, my first MP3 clinic efforts were all horrid. Without bass traps and correct placement, I was getting way too much or way too little bass (yes both ends and not from re-mixing). You will be better off with the 5s and $200 room treatment than 8s at the same total price...bear in mind, for $200 you'll be making your own bass traps.

Get a pair of 8" for your serious mix, and a pair of Yamaha HS-5s. You want something with no bass, too, for the crap most people listen with.

Back