Krk Rokit 5's for vocals

gospel25514

Just looking for some good monitors for mixing vocals for accapellas and such. Would the Krk Rokit 5's get the job done?

Who's giving away Rokit 5s these days that's causing everyone to be asking about them specifically all of a sudden?

Nobody can choose the right monitors for you any more than they can choose which gal you'll fall in love with or what rental bowling ball you should use. Those are all personal decisions.

G.

Seriously!

Who's giving away Rokit 5s these days that's causing everyone to be asking about them specifically all of a sudden?

Nobody can choose the right monitors for you any more than they can choose which gal you'll fall in love with or what rental bowling ball you should use. Those are all personal decisions.

G.

So G. Reviews or opinions should never be considered? Is not this a forum to read opinions about product and experiences? I have did searches on here and there is not much about vocals and accapella recording with the krk's. I have no where around to which I can listen to the Krk or any studio monitors for that matter. So some of us must rely on the word of good folks around here!

So some of us must rely on the word of good folks around here!

How do you decide who the "good" folks are??? Actually, you just got good advice from one of the "good" folks here.....but you don't seem to dig it. But, I guess that was his point in the first place.

So G. Reviews or opinions should never be considered? Is not this a forum to read opinions about product and experiences?
Loudspeakers are really rather a special case to a degree. Reviews of them outside of pure specification reporting are meaningless unless you know and understand the ears and the preferences of the reviewer. One person's "flat" is another person's "hyped" and vice versa. One person loves NS-10s, or A7s, or HR824s; another hates them. People of equal experience and sincerity honestly disagree on this subject more than any other. How does one evaluate that without knowing the persons giving the reviews?

I sold loudspeakers - everything from bookshelves to studio reference monitors - for many years, and one thing that evidenced itself to me on a daily basis, and is confirmed almost daily on this forum, is that loudspeaker choice is an extremely personal choice, and everybody hears something different.

You gotta go listen to them yourself. What you like and what I like are probably not the same thing, therefore what I - or any other random stranger - have to say is going to be of very little help to you.

Here's how it boils down, IMHO, though very few people like to admit this; no offense intended towards anyone, but if one has gotta ask someone else what loudspeaker sounds good to them, then it probably doesn't much matter which loudspeaker they eventually pick.

G.

Just look at the epic thread in the noob section about the KRK 5's. That should tell you right there how much personal preference plays into the equation.

I happen to like mine, as do many others in that post but some people thought they sucked. When I bought mine I went and listened to a few different monitors in that price range. All of the others sounded very bright to me with little low end. To me they just sounded the best (in that price range).

I think no matter what you buy you'll have to learn them. Every mix I do I end up trying in my car, on my computer, on my home stereo etc.. and usually end up tweaking something. After a while you'll get to know the monitors.

I like the debates that happen when people ask for recommendations and opinions. The 'epic thread' that Tetra speaks of demonstrates both sides of this equation. I might love product XZ but someone else may genuinely think they are fit only for the deaf. Paradoxically, neither view would be in and of itself wrong. Both can be reliable and unreliable guides. Be aware of what both sides say but ultimately you're going to have to jump off the cliff and take a chance. You may utterly love a random pick ~ I know I have, a few times....
Incidentally, here's one of 'Good guys' !

I've always said, shopping for monitors is like a crap shoot. Even in side by side tests in the store, you aren't really hearing how they will be in your studio. 2 pairs of monitors on the same shelf playng the same test song isn't going to tell you much. The room is going to suck, they aren't in the perfect position, there is noise from other shoppers, kids banging drums, sales guy talking, Joe Shredder in the corner; it's not going to be the same environment as your studio.

Pick your monitors based on price point, reputation, popularity and speaker size. Take them home and learn them in your room.

And avoid 5" drivers, the bass on them really suck!!!

Okay, let the flaming begin. :D

Even in side by side tests in the store, you aren't really hearing how they will be in your studio. 2 pairs of monitors on the same shelf playng the same test song isn't going to tell you much. The room is going to suck, they aren't in the perfect position...it's not going to be the same environment as your studio.
Absolutely true.

Which is why, if you don't know exactly what you want, you should only buy from a reputable dealer with a proper return/exchange policy so you can try them out at home and return or exchange them if they don't blow smoke up your skirt when you get them home. Explain that to the salesrep from the beginning and he'll cooperate - if he doesn't, get another sales rep.

G.

G.

Yup. I share your frustrations. I thought in theory that all studio monitors were attempting to produce a flat response, with none of them every acheiving it. Then there is the room that they sit in....

It should make the decision easier! Just point your finger at a product on the shelf and buy!

(Advice for the home-recorder, obviously)

Cheers,
FM

Yup. I share your frustrations. I thought in theory that all studio monitors were attempting to produce a flat response, with none of them every acheiving it.
Head-slapping, I-shoulda-had-a-V8-moment kind of things amazingly few people think about until they come up in threads like this:

- if "studio monitors" (emphasis on the quotes) were anything close to flat on any consistent basis, they'd all sound pretty much the same and there's be no need for hundreds of different models and sizes.

- one big reason that there are so many different types of models and sizes is because slapping the name "studio monitor" on what is otherwise basically just a loudspeaker system just like any other loudspeaker design is a great way to make money. The famous Yamaha NS-10 was originally meant to be a bookshelf stereo speaker for college students and other space-challenged customers, and was only marketed as a "studio monitor" *after* Yamaha found out that a few pro engineers started using them as such excactly because they were easy-to carry speakers that sounded like they belonged in a dorm room or rec room and did NOT sound like the typical high-quality reference studio monitors found in the big studios. The ultimate in marketing strategy irony: they wound up being marketed as studio monitors because they did not sound like studio monitors.

- the second big reason there are so many different models and designs is because the manufacturers are purposely trying to create speakers that hit different price points so they can sell them to as many different demographics as possible. If all nearfields cost as much as Tannoy Elipses, there'd be no home recording market for them because 90% of us would not be able to afford them. And here's the punchline; if the cheaper speakers in the product line actually sounded anything like their expensive big brothers, - like since thy're all "studio monitors", they're all basically flat - there'd be no need for anyone to spend the extra money on the big brother speakers. But they don't sound the same; they are as different from each other as can be. Which means that the name "studio monitor" doesn't really mean anything other than as a marketing tool.

- the third big reason for there being so many different models is exactly because no two sets of human ears and preferences are the same. Fltecher-Munson curves are only *averages* and do NOT represent what any given single person actually hears - every person has their own unique hearing curve just like they have their own set of fingerprints. And even if those curves were the same, what everybody *wants* to hear from their speakers is different. We all say we want our "monitors" to be "'flat" and "accurate"; but in reality for many of us that's self-deceiving bullshit; most of us would not even know what flat sounded like if it us on the head, and when we did hear it, would not like it.

And that's all OK. If that were not the case, the manufacturers and retailers would go broke offering so many different models that sounded so different.

G.

Back