KRK monitors anyone?

Pretty nice monitors indeed. It's better to run without a sub, but that's just my opinion. If you want more bass, why not save $100 or so and grab the KRK RP5's?

Maybe I am not reading something on the linked page but that is the price for ONE monitor.

For that price you'd be better off buying the Rokit 8's after doing a search for the link I posted for a website that Guitar Center (or musicians friend) will use for price match (it will save you $100 off their retail price).

I don't have the space for the RP-8's, and I'd rather have a higher fidelity mid/top end at the expense of low end extension since I already have a sub I am very satisfied with. Studiomaster, in general I would agree with you on running systems without a sub, however I don't have the space for monitors that are large enough to give me a good idea of what's going on in the bottom end of my recordings.

I didn't mean for that to sound offensive. If the RP5's are better speakers on the mids and highs, I would just assume get them over the V4's, but as stated, the low end performance of the monitors isn't of particular importance.

if the sub you have is satisfactory then go for the RP5s. They will save you some cash as opposed to those V4s and sound roughly teh same I think. The V4s are a little better I think, but I'm not sure as I havn't been around them.

The RP8s aren't all that big, b ut I can understand how space is a concern (if you're fitting them on a desk or something). I don't have space on the desk so I popped for the On-Stage stands. Which according to your link I think Guit Center overcharged me for...so I'm goin back to ask for a refund!!

FWIW-

I mix on RP8's in a treated room...and there is no need for a sub.

I only ever check my mixes on a sub to see whats going on down there, but never mix with it.

Mixing in an untreated room with a sub is asking for trouble IMHO.

If your room is properly tuned, you can mix on almost any monitors.

But yes...the 4's are great ...I know 3 others that mix on them with excellent results.

-LIMiT

the RP5's are on sale here you get $100 Aurelex foam package too...throw in a "discount" that was mentioned, not a bad deal.

Either way, your basically at a nice 3-way system. yeah....
highs, mids concentrated on the 4" or 5".... move the bass-work to the sub.

you say limited budget, so maybe the RP5's will fit?
What lead you to the V4's ??
there's an ocean of choices, just wonderin.

$500 is my upper limit for spending on a pair of compact monitors. I don't have the space for RP-8's, and since I already have a good subwoofer I'd rather lose bass response at the expense of better midrange and high end with the V4's than have bass I don't need and have worse top end. If there are better compact monitors at this price point I'd be more than open to suggestions, the V4's just looked like a good choice for what I need.

I have a pair of those V4's and I like them a lot. Very easy to listen to for long hours. I use them as the small pair alongside my Mackie HR824's. If you've already got a sub, I think you'll be fine with the V4's.

When trying out monitors I bought the RP5's and the "mostly-hated" Behringer Truth B2031a's. In my treated room, the RP5's sounded more like a high end theatre speaker compared to the flat response to the 2031a's. I ended up doing a few mixes on each for a week and returned the RP5's. I love the Behringer's. I know people have very mixed reactions to the truths, but they work for me, so that's fine with me. from what I gathered when doing my research, A lot of it has to do with your ears and personal preferences. Find a store with a good return policy, and take a few pairs home to try.

I have the KRK RP8s, which I'm quite happy with. Although they do have a large footprint. They go for $249/ea. new. I did some comparison between them and the RP6 & RP5, and decided it was worth it, as I was looking for something that was relatively inexpensive but I would also be happy with for a long time. Plus, they're yellow, so they look cool too (and that's what's really important after all) Now I basically use them as my home stereo speakers.

Back