korg x50 (any good?)

reeler78

hi! has anyone here had any experience with the korg x50.im thinking about getting it.theres also a few other models im considering like the yamaha mm6,roland e09,roland,gw8 or the roland juno d.im going to be using the keyboard really as my second instrument as my music is mainly acoustic guitar based so ill be using it mainly for the strings and orchestral side of things.maybe a little drums if there not too bad sounding.i know these arent the top of the range but there about as far as my buget will go at the moment.ive done a little research mysef but cant seem to decide which would suit my needs the best.so would like to here your opinions and appreciate your help.i also want to be able to run the synth through a m audio 610 audio interface to record live into something like cubase le or ableton..cheers.

ps.or if theres any other models around the same price that you think would be better suited for my needs...............cheers again

I wanted a backup for my X5 as well as a dedicated studio keyboard, and just dropped $699 on a new X50 from B&H.

Wow, is this thing cheap. I miss the solid Japan construction of the X5 over this Chinese-built keyboard.

Despite a few bad reviews of bending keys and failing power supplies, I'm inclined to keep it.

If anyone has recent feedback on older copies, I'd like to hear it. I've tracked down a bunch of 5+ year old reviews.

BTW, my X5 was purchased new in '96 or so, and I still beat the crap out of it at live gigs.

There's also a variation of the X50 called the Korg MicroX which has sound sets made specifically for it and just has a two octave keyboard, capable of integration in DAW and comes preloaded with many popular templates for VSTi's , and is basically a mini-Triton on steroids for its size with 4 part multi and combo modes and actually sounds really great and can be had for $300-400. these days and you can even utilize it as a sound module and use a larger keyboard controller to get past the 2 octave keys that again, korg negated to place after touch on but it does have velocity response. Note that the soundsets are not exactly the same on the MicroX that are on X50 as it has not only special ones made just for it but also a lot of the original Triton as well. For a Rompler and it's small size, it has a lot of useful great sounds and two independent ARPs that the X50 has as well. It also has an editor that's useful because Korg made this red backlit small LCD screen with way too much small font info crammed into that space that makes the editor really useful and you can find the WIN 7 64 bit version here: KORG Support : Downloads - microX Synthesizer/Controller
and if on a MAC, that should be there as well. Hope this helps in my still learning capacity as I have an all hardware synth home studio set-up with versatile options in my arsenal.

Back