korg ms2000

More info!!

It all depends what you plan to do with it (recording, live), what kind of music you play, etc...

mainly would use it as a studio tool to lay down textures and ambient sounds to work behind acoustic guitars as apposed to actually writing melodys or chord progressions

For what you want it for, it wouldn't be my first choice.

The Korg is designed to be an analogue synth modeler.

However, if you've fallen in love with the sounds of the Korg MS2000, you should save yourself $300 and get the Korg MS2000R.

This is the same synth engine in a rack mounted unit (without the keyboard). You can control it with PC software, a sequencer or any MIDI controller (like Roland's GK guitar synth).

Carl

krakit...what would be your first choice...90% of the music i write is acoustic - the guitars, bass, drums...would like something colourful to fill up the background...and i wouldn't be writing music on it really, just need the weird sounds and textures and a way for it to play without me having to play it, program? sequencer?...am trying to stay away from computer based stuff...i do happen to have a fender rhoads piano someone gave me for free...perfect condition and totally in tune...that bitch is heavy though...is there something i can hook up to that to produce some sounds

Krakit said:
For what you want it for, it wouldn't be my first choice.

The Korg is designed to be an analogue synth modeler.

However, if you've fallen in love with the sounds of the Korg MS2000, you should save yourself $300 and get the Korg MS2000R.

This is the same synth engine in a rack mounted unit (without the keyboard). You can control it with PC software, a sequencer or any MIDI controller (like Roland's GK guitar synth).

Carl

Here we go again with the modules... :P

My biggest reason for staying away from the MS2000 is the 4 note polyphony - kinda on the shallow side (even for VA's).

If you want good pads, try out the Roland XP series synths (30,50,60,80 - not the XP10 though - its a piece of junk!). If you're really into the ethereal, evolving spacey pads, try and find yourself a used Korg Wavestation (preferably the EX or AD versions - not the original).

You can hear some Real Audio samples of the Wavestation at the following site:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/korg/wavestation.shtml

triple said:
krakit...what would be your first choice...90% of the music i write is acoustic - the guitars, bass, drums...would like something colourful to fill up the background...and i wouldn't be writing music on it really, just need the weird sounds and textures and a way for it to play without me having to play it, program? sequencer?...am trying to stay away from computer based stuff...i do happen to have a fender rhoads piano someone gave me for free...perfect condition and totally in tune...that bitch is heavy though...is there something i can hook up to that to produce some sounds

Unless there's a MIDI output on your Rhodes (not very many have one) then you can't use it to control straight ahead MIDI modules.

I'm guessing that you're recording to tape (since your not interested in sequencing).

I think you're best bet would be one of the E-MU modules. Which one (or ones) depends on your appetite.

Get yourself a cheap controller keyboard and you're all set.

Carl

Back