Korg Karma- any opinions or experiences?

faithmonster

I went to a local Korg dealer the other day to check out some
"workstation" keyboards. After sorting through some Alesis
units, and looking wistfully at a new Triton/Trinity displayed
pair, I found a 61 key package that is nothing short of
amazing- the Korg Karma.

Stephen Kay's almost entity-like Kay Algorithmic Realtime
Music Architecture is just downright spooky. In no time
it made me sound like I have the most gifted chops (and
a precision matched pair at that!) I have to ask... has anyone
else tried or uses this instrument? Please share your thoughts
on it, pro or con or indifferent. I think I've found my next major
keyboard purchase (if the wife lets me...).

Thanks muches!

the Faithmonster

Ok, playing with the arpeggiator was a goddamn revelation. Sick stuff. Hands down the best arpeggiator i've ever tried.
But the sounds... :( I mean, haven't they really come up with something better since they made the triton? I'm really dissapointed in that matter.
But of course, i'm used to analogue modeling, so any rompler is a step down concerning the sound imo.
Would love to have the arpeggiator to control some really phatt sounds.

Karma Workstation

I did the same thing...I have a few workstations...but once I started playing this Karma in the store...I almost came up with 5 or 6 songs...it's unbelievable!!!

YES

Had gotten the Karma video demo in the mail and really wasn't overwelmed with it. I later read a review in one of the mags I get and it kind of led me to the same,stating on how it wasn't user friendly.

One day I went to the local music store to get a few cables. Roaming around I heard some real nice sounds coming from the keyboard section. When I got there, a salesman was giving a guy a pretty intense demo seesion to a perspective buyer. He was really movin around fast with the keyboard, hittin buttons, changing parameters and comin up with a lotta real good stuff.

My first thought was..yeah..he probably really knows this thing inside out and the average person would have to study the manual and keyboard for quite some time to get all the stuff comin out of it like he was. I was wrong.
The customer, after about 20-25 minutes of observing and asking questions sat down at it. At first he was lost, but after a few instructions, and more questions, he got some good grooves going and within 30 minutes was making some of the best sounds I have heard in years. The Karma is INCREDIBLE.

You can make it sound like 5 synths are playing at the same time. The algorythms are infinite.And the tone quality is superb. Everything that came out of it was just fantastic.

Knowing that I'd never afford a Karma, and was just there for some cables, I still had to have some new sounds. I bought a Yamaha PSR550 and went home.

Thanks guys!

ZZWave and Joker- it's really scary how it reacts to you. Before
the salesman came up I was lost in it deep, headphones on.
I can see how it would be only too easy to write with this thing.
So in spite of the cost, I gotsta have one... I appeased the wife
real good- installed her a nice big Whirlpool Cielo 8 jet tub with
the heater and lighting kit... so here in just days...if I ever get outta that tub with her...

Ubik and Chriss- the Karma unit I messed with had the new MOSS
card in it and several of the other cards handy- I think it has a large lead on the Triton and Trinity both...IMHO... and the arpeggiator flat kicks ass!

Thanks again guys!

das Faithemonsteur

Back