Korg D8: standalone recording device?

dadubwa

-I just recently bought a Line 6 UX2 audio interface to hook my condenser mics up to my computer.

-A week later I was given a Korg D8 Digital Recording Studio.

Is the D8 a standalone piece of recording equipment?

I know the Korg D8 is pretty old but it's still a functioning piece of equipment that I'd love to use. Is there anyway to get the D8 hooked into the computer so that it records into my MAGIX recording software?

How about hooking it up to my Line 6 UX2 audio interface?

To save time here are the hook ups available on both:

Line 6:
-2 XLR inputs
-2 1/4" Instrument Inputs
-Headphone jack
-2 Line inputs in the back (2/R) (1/L), these look like 1/4" sized jacks too but I've never used them.
-2 footswitch inputs
-USB out
-Digital Out (S/PDIF) < I think this could be useful.
-Stereo Monitor In
-Analog Outs (2/R) (1/L)

Korg D8 Digital Recording Studio:
-2 1/4" Inputs
-SCSI
-Digital OUT
-Digital IN

-AUX (looks to be 1 OUT, 2 IN)
-Output L R
-MIDI

Computer:
-SCSI input, that's about the only relevant hook up.

So how (if at all) can I use these guys together?

PLEASE any and all help is needed. I don't want to invest the money in cables and invest the time reading and digesting the thick user manual if it's not worth it in the end. Thanks!

Just had a glance at it.
You should be able to transfer the files to your P.C. and then take them into Magix.
Pop into "StudioTrax" if you want more info.
Lots of experienced Korg users there.

Just had a glance at it.
You should be able to transfer the files to your P.C. and then take them into Magix.
Pop into "StudioTrax" if you want more info.
Lots of experienced Korg users there.

Thanks Jim!

No chance of using it with the UX2 huh? :( bummer.

I used to own a Korg D8. They ain't too great. I'd bang it on eBay and spend the results on something you need. They're really a waste of time. You can do the same thing with a half decent PC and Soundcard.

When I bought mine, people didn't have the internet or computers round my way so I didn't know any better! They're old, obsolete digital recorders. I sold mine for £150 on eBay 2 years ago. Sell it, treat yourself! ;D

I'd be the last one to suggest that you get rid of a piece of gear.
Granted, it's older technology but Korg, Yamaha, Roland etc., are not in the business of making rubbish.
Having said that, a quick look at the Korg D8 section in StudioTrax shows only four threads in the last year.
Up to you.
Have some fun with it or pass it on.
Enjoy. :)

I picked up D16 when they were new, still have it

it has limitations but certainly for snapshot recordings it is certainly functional

two of biggest limitations of the D8 would be size of HD and difficulty in upgrading drive. D16 came with 2 gig drive which I immediately bumped @ what now seems to be an exorbitant price) to 4 gig but backed up (and even recorded) to an Orbit external SCSI with removable discs

additionally the D8 lacked any XLR inputs, line only with '1' Doubling as instrument input

if I remember correct there was no way to transfer, even via the SCSI port, directly to a computer. Native format of D8 HD was not compatible with, say FAT (or FAT32) and recording was not done with standard 'wav'. On D16 there were firmware upgrades that permited backing up to FAT drives (via SCSI) in 'wav' format and I'd suspect the D8 might have had same upgrades available

Transfer to computer can be accomplished in real time 1 or 2 tracks (hard panned left and right for seperation) at a time. Unfortunately the audio card you list does not support digital in so the transfer would involve a digital (from D8) to analog conversion then recoverting to digital via the audio card as D8 records only @ 16 bit this (multiple A/D/A/D transfers) can be problematic

Compared with current gear it is limited with (again compared with some current improvements) an awkward user interface.l Nor would I recommend dumping any significant money into making usable. That said since you already have it there is no reason not to use it, see if it can work for you. Getting music transfered to computer for editing will take some work but once figured out it might be a useful device. Four simultaneous record devices are not in large supply and for snapshots of live shows where the stereo board feed is the primary source having a couple of extra tracks can be valuable. For a lot of down and dirty field recording 16 is sufficient and I still manage to accomplish a lot @ 16 on 2 gig SD cards.

Unfortunately HD's have shelf lives and even for SCSI 12 yr. is getting long in the tooth (and not using a drive can be the easiest way to kill on eventual power up) that said my D16 still works (admittedly with a lot of the labels rubbed off the buttons and knobs) after 12 yr.

Back