Korg D8 & pre-amps?

Macca

G'day all,
I have a Korg D8 recorder.
I've been using basic mic's and my electric 6 string & bass plugged directly into the input's 1 & 2 (coz that's all there is!) & was wondering ... if I was to use a mic pre-amp, where would I put it???
Do I plug it into input 1 or 2 as normal, with the output level up & my input gain down, or should I plug in through the "Master" in, the return for external effects etc...???
Any help much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Macca (edited 07-17-2000).]

Yo Macca:

Here is how I might run the plug from your 6 stringer: plug from your instrument into the input of the Mic Pre; plug from the OUTPUT of the mic pre into your recorder. If you get an ART dual channel mic pre, it has both XLR and 1/4 inch ins and outs.

Don't know if you need to run a bass through a mic pre; bass is usually pretty strong and doesn't often need much reverb. I like to tweak my bass lines a bit to get a funky thunky sound; but, my bass lines usually are patches from my synthesizer and I can modify them before recording and tweak the EQ after recording when I'm ready to mix down.

Mic Preamps are nice because you can run about anything you want through them and experiment.

Green Hornet

Hey, thanks GH.

I know it's pretty strait forward stuff, but I didn't want to risk hitting my little Korg with some insane levels in the wrong place, or something.
I've heard mention of the ART pre-amps on this site and others. Are they Hi end (read $$$) or do they 'span the range' as they say.
(I'm talking Aussi dollars remember, and a strait US to Aus conversion rate just doesn't work!!! I could cry when I read the prices you guy's are talking for gear. On another BBS someone said they were paying $700 US for the same machine I just spent $2,200 Aus. on! OUCH!!! )
Ta much.
Macca
Adelaide, South Oz.

Back