korg d1600 and yamaha aw2816

I own the Akai DPS16 and couldn't be happier with it. Got it from MusiciansFriend.com for $1500 (with an AKG C1000s mic). Recently bought a Sony cd burner (for $125 or so) to back-up data and make .wav files, but I usually master to my Philips CDR775 Digital Audio CD Player/Burner.

I don't know how "Vurt" could say that the Akai sounded like a "noisy piece of shit." True, the features offered by all of these machines vary, but the actual sound quality of the Yamahas, Korgs and Akais is probably very, very similar. My Akai sounds crystal clear to me (I had previously owned a Boss BR-8).

P.S. I've never seen the DPS16 for $900...I just checked the Mars site, and it's not listed as being available. Perhaps the previous poster got a special deal on the last of the inventory?

Uncle Ponto...

One thing I forgot to mention on the cd burner issue...when I was shopping for mine, I was surprised by the lack of choices out there. The Akai has only a SCSCI connection, and most of the burners on the market now are USB or Firewire. I went to a CompUSA outlet in Manhattan and they didn't have any SCSCI burners available! The Sony I eventually found is working fine. In fact, I just gave a friend who uses Cakewalk some .wav files to dump into his computer.

There's a site somewhere that was offering the Akai packaged with a Glyph cd burner for $1500. I'm not sure if that's still available...Do a Google search for "Akai and Glyph" and perhaps you'll find it.

BobO

Good call. I was looking at the same issue yesterdday, actually, and wondering about the compatibility of devices. The recording device makers are silent in their descripitions about compatibility - likely because they want to steer you towards their trackers - hence the Roland CDR (a cool $500, by the way) talks exclusively about using it with the VS series multitrackers. I could see how a user could get roped into spending more than they have to. How's that Philips treating you? I have a Philips stereo and it's been acting up pretty bad. I've had to have it serviced less than five months after I bought the darn thing so I am a little concerned about the quality of their products.

Ponto

If I had to do it over again I would NOT buy the Philips CDR775 burner. It's very, very picky when it comes to brands of disks...I've wasted a bunch of bucks buying spindles of "budget" disks which the Philips refuses to read. I've finally settled on Memorex disks...they've been working fine.

A bigger issue is that the Philips doesn't offer enough info when it comes to recording levels....just two LED meters. I've heard that the Tascam machines offer a lot more flexibility and options when it comes to "mastering."

That was the deal at mars. THERE IS STILL ONE AT THE KC location. I didnt need a burner because I have a whole rack of effects for mastering before I burn the cd, besides I use the one in my computer. Its better to master to the hard drive than a stand alone because of all the coasters I would tend to produce otherwise.

Back