KORG D16 (not the XD !) - bigger internal HD installable ?

dabalungu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

I am quite new to the forum which I entered primarily because of my queries concerning the aquisition of an arranger keyboard. In the meantime I own the PA 1X PRO and this forum helped me to make a decision in favour of PA 1X PRO. The KORG PA 1X PRO is the top prof. arranger keyboard on the market with the most realistic styles/sounds. Thank you !
I will use the PA 1X PRO and my D16 to make the complete recording. Just CD-mastering will be in the PC as the D16 hasnt got a internal CD-recorder. The only problem is, that the D16 has only a 2,1 GB Harddisc. KORG told me that it is not possible to install a bigger harddisc for the D16. Is that really true or do they just say that, because they want to sell their newer equipment ? Is there anybody who knows if it is possible to install a bigger internal HD into the KORG D16 ? If yes, how many internal GB is the maximum ? What type of HD can be installed (please give me detailed technical data concerning the type of HD the D16 could support) ? Can only older HD of old technology be installed or is it possible to install the latest Harddiscs, too ? Please also tell me if it is necessary to load the D16-operating system again if I install a new Harddisc. Will the D16 operating system be lost if I install the new Harddisc ?
Many thanks for your feedback concerning this issue.

Dabalungu

Dab, personally, I'm a little unknowledgeable in the hard drive department. I own a Korg d1600mkll, and I know where you can find a solution (if there is one). Go to KorgStudios.com. Those forums are specifically for Korgs an full of a great bunch of helpful users. I know for a fact that they discuss the topic you're interested in as it applies to the d1600 and d1600mkll (you mentioned you have a d16) Use their search function first, then post if needed. Good luck!

I have installed both a Hitachi 60G and a Toshiba 80G into Korg D16s, and both worked great, regardless everthing Korg's techs were telling that it wasn't possible. These hard drives were 5400rpm types for laptops, and I did this circa 2008.

I was originally using Korg's 1.0 OS, but eventually upgraded to 3.1 OS. Neither was ever a problem. If I'm remembering correctly, tho, you will need to reinstall an OS (but I believe that was only because I wanted an updated OS), so you'll need a CD disc with whichever OS you choose to go with (Korg sent me the CD), and obviously, a compatible CD disc drive for the reinstall. The only CD disc drive that ever worked for me in that regard (reinstalling the Korg OS) was a Yamaha that is specifically recommended by Korg for that task; no other CD drive ever worked for me, and I tried several.

You do, however, first have to plug the drive connector plug into just the right spot on the larger-GB drive, into the right bunch of pins, to be installed correctly. You'll notice the pin connector plug is only about half the size of the double row of pins on the hard drive, so you must know the correct pins to plug in to. If by chance you know this info, please tell me, because this is what's preventing me from properly reassembling my old D16, with a 60G drive. Good luck!

I have installed both a Hitachi 60G and a Toshiba 80G into Korg D16s, and both worked great, regardless everthing Korg's techs were telling that it wasn't possible. These hard drives were 5400rpm types for laptops, and I did this circa 2008.

I was originally using Korg's 1.0 OS, but eventually upgraded to 3.1 OS. Neither was ever a problem. If I'm remembering correctly, tho, you will need to reinstall an OS (but I believe that was only because I wanted an updated OS), so you'll need a CD disc with whichever OS you choose to go with (Korg sent me the CD), and obviously, a compatible CD disc drive for the reinstall. The only CD disc drive that ever worked for me in that regard (reinstalling the Korg OS) was a Yamaha that is specifically recommended by Korg for that task; no other CD drive ever worked for me, and I tried several.

You do, however, first have to plug the drive connector plug into just the right spot on the larger-GB drive, into the right bunch of pins, to be installed correctly. You'll notice the pin connector plug is only about half the size of the double row of pins on the hard drive, so you must know the correct pins to plug in to. If by chance you know this info, please tell me, because this is what's preventing me from properly reassembling my old D16, with a 60G drive. Good luck!

Does this help? I'm not sure what you mean about the connector being 1/2 the size of the hard drive. It looks like a standard laptop IDE drive to me.

Yeah, I think I've seen this before, but thanks, cuz I took a good look this time, and it appears the hard drive's pins plug directly to the board, NOT to a white plug at the end of some wires, a plug that's about half the length of that double row of pins on the drive. My original post a day ago (you'll see 3 attached pics) is asking for help with plugging that white plug into the correct pins on the drive, cuz I mistakenly thought the plug went into the drive's pins. But now it's pretty obvious, after looking at the video you attached, just where the drive plugs into. So thanks!

My original post:
New to this site, but really need someone's help. I have a Korg D16 that's disassembled, hard drive out. Years ago, on an identical D16, I replaced its factory 2.1G drive with a Toshiba 60G drive. Initialized, worked fine, for years, not a single problem. I think I had upgraded to their 3.1 OS. On my second D16 I started disassembly and removed that factory 2.1 drive... and stopped there (long story!). Someone was holding both D16s, but unfortunately the working, fully reassembled D16, with the fully functioning 60G drive, went missing. So I'm left with the D16 who's drive is out. I have everything: power supply, all boards, knobs, screws, connectors, and the 60G upgrade drive, like new, sealed in original foil, no reason to suspect it won't work.
PROBLEM: I can't be sure where all the inside screws go, cuz I took it all apart years ago, and without the second, fully reassembled D16 in front of me (the one that went missing) as a visual guide, I can't possibly reassemble everything exactly as it's supposed to be. Any suggestions? But even more problematic for me is attaching the connector to the pins of the new drive (see 3 attached pics). You can see the connector is about half the length of the row of pins on the drive, and I remember having to plug in that connector to just the right spot, to just the right pins, for it to be installed correctly. I got that info online after a pretty long search (cuz Korg's tech people were telling me swapping out drives was not possible..."proprietary" hard drive, etc.), and when I installed it exactly as instructed everything worked great. But I can't remember where I got that info so many years ago, so, good people, any help with my issues here is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks!

Attachments​

• IMG_6527.jpeg
    IMG_6527.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6528.jpeg
    IMG_6528.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 3
Report •••

Search for 44 pin ide pinout.

That little connector is not big enough for a hard disk.
The little connector just off the left of the top picture looks the right size to connect with the connector in the second picture.
What's on the underside of the lower board in the top picture?
There liiks like a hard disk sized interface under the button '2'.

That connector doesn't go to the hard drive, It appears to connect to pins on the underside of the board. This is the same connector you show. Is there a row of pins on this side of your circuit board?

Korg Connector.jpg

Looking at your board, I think you have to get to the underside. This looks like the header is in this spot on your board.
Connector.jpg

OK, fellas, thanks to your posts and pics/videos, I was able to successfully reassemble my Korg D16 and a Hitachi 60G hard drive, and I'm more than reasonably certain everything is where it should be.
So I plugged it in, Red Standby light on, then I pushed power button. Startup screen was as I remembered, showing OS installed is version 3.12, and small graphic of D16 spinning rapidly, after a minute or so slowing & then stopped spinning, then screen asking Initialize? with OK button highlighted... so I pressed it, all 12 Track Status lights went green, onboard Mic light went red, and it's been initializing for the past 25 minutes, no change. This is a 60G drive that was still factory sealed, unused, so is it normal to need to initialize for so long?

Please see the 2 attached pics:

This Hitachi 40G drive (once was installed in my D16, worked flawlessly) shows a <JUMPER> diagram indicating a PIN1 location. Those 4 pins isolated on the right of the diagram correspond to the left end of the pin array of the drive itself (with the drive's label facing up), and shows the relative location of PIN1. The factory-installed 2.1G, this 40G, a 60G and an 80G, all of which at one time or another were installed in my D16, and all of which worked perfectly, I assure you ALL 4 have the same exact number and arrangement of pins. (See second pic.)

I mention all this cuz I have a memory from all those years ago of possibly having to utilize those jumper pins and pin1 in some kind of way. A guy on a Korg D16 forum (I believe he was from Ireland, the "manager" of the site?) back in '02 & '03, was telling me I had to do such-n-such with those jumper pins to get the drive upgrade to work properly. But for the life of me I can't remember the details, but I remember I took his advice, and the upgrade workd fine.

The 60G I just installed has been initializing for well over 1 hour now, with no change, and I can't help but think it might have something to do with me not utilizing those jumper pins on this upgrade.

Any of this sound familiar to any D16 owners? I'm not sure it's such a good idea to leave it initializing for so long.

Attachments

• IMG_6549.jpeg
    IMG_6549.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6551.jpeg
    IMG_6551.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 4
The key is that you have an IDE drive, which needs to be set as either a master or a Cable Select drive. I don;t know how Korg set up their hard drive system, but this is how to set the jumpers for the Hitachi Travelstar drive. The Pin 1 designation is for the IDE cable. IDE cables have a colored indicator on one side of the ribbon that indicates that it is #1. So the colored side should set to pin 1. The 4 pins on the end are for the status of the IDE drive.

If you installed it without any jumpers (set as Master drive) and it isn't working properly, you could try Cable Select. Slave setting is for when you have two drives, one is the master and the second is slave. With a Cable Select setup, the signaling is set so that the computer sets one as master and one as slave automatically. So you either want to set a jumper between pins D and B, or have no jumper at all. Putting jumpers across pins A and B sets the drive as slave and it won't work.

Travelstar jumpers.jpg

OK, Good Sir! You've been a lifesaver!

If I'm understanding you, if this D16 requires an IDE plugin, there would be a connector for such, and I don't see one, so that's a non-issue.

The attached pic you'll see the Toshiba 60G I installed earlier today. The blue arrow points to the 4 pins in question. The bottom 2, that your diagram shows to be B & D, are the two pins I must jump, correct? That will make the drive as Cable Select, yes?

So as I have it installed now, no jumper, it's set as Master, and it doesn't appear to want to initialize, Cable seems like the logical choice here, right?

I don't have any kind of device to act as "jumper", so could I simply (carefully!) solder a bit of wire or solder to jump those 2 pins?

Attachments

• IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    839 KB · Views: 1
I've done some more research and found this:

If you look at the hard drive, it doesn't look like there are any jumpers set, which probably means it needs to be left empty (master).

I found a Service Manual, but it doesn't mention any settings. It might be helpful for putting it together properly,

You might have to find someone with a PC that can test that drive to see if it is working properly.

Do you have the latest OS? The D16's latest OS is 3.12. Unfortunately, it requires a CD with a SCSI D connector, which is pretty rare to find these days. This is 20 year old tech, after all.

Beyond that, I don't have any other suggestions. I saw the threads about people upgrading to bigger hard drives. I don't know the limit that the OS can see, but the 40GB drive SHOULD work from all indications if it's good.

I've got a Yamaha AW16G which had a 20GB drive, and it filled up pretty quickly. It's a pain to back up because it didn't have USB. I bought a IDE to SD converter and someday I'll take it all apart and try that upgrade. Then I could put in 32 or 64GB SD cards and swap them out if I needed space. But that's for another day...maybe when the snow comes down in a couple of months.

Back