Korg D12, Tascam 788 Or Fostex Vf16

SSgtP

In the next couple of months, I plan to purchase a digital recorder. I THINK I've nailed it down to either the Korg d12, the Tascam 788 or the Fostex VF16. Any advise on which one I should choose(and why) would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very computer literate, so I don't think computer based recording is my bag, but I'll listen to anyone's advise.

Thanks
P

yo, p
i am also a newbie & looking @ the same stuff for future purchase, but i have read about each of these (& some others) in a number of magazines and catalogs- the deal is this:
it kinda depends on what you wanna get out of it.
some of these workstations have relatively small storage space on them, forcing you to back up on other equipment.
that may or may not be an issue for you- look into it before purchase.
another thing to consider is whether or not you will be doing any midi work.
if so, the computer workstation is the way to go, because your editing abilities will be WWWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY BETTER!
also, some workstsations may have integral effects while others may not.
like i said, it kinda depends on what you wanna do.
also, there are user forums by BRAND on this site- you might spend some time reading those.
maybe someone else with more experience will also reply.
:)

Korg d12 Is the best Hard disc setup amoung those three.

I havent heard the fostex yet but im told that they don't sound near as good as the korg or the tascam.

gervis,

thanks for taking the time to respond. Your right, I think computer based recording offers allot better editing control, at least from what I've read. I won't be using much midi at all though, so I think a stand alone will do me just fine. The Tascam forum on this BB doesn't seem to have many post's about the 788. I don't know if that is good or bad. Thanks.

darrin,

Again thanks for the post. I had already kind of narrowed it down between the Korg and the Tascam. For one, they seem to be easier to get your music burned down to a CD, without using a computer. Two, I heard the Fostex has some trouble with software or something like that. Although apparently there is an upgrade you can get. I may be off the mark here.

Right now, ease of use will play a big factor. Tascam has an excellent forum on their web page, and the 788 owners rave about it. I haven't seen the same kind of forum for Korg though. I wish they did, so I could compare the two without all the hype.
I'm sure they both sound great, and have all the bells and whistles, but I'm trying to avoid a giant learning curve.
Twelve tracks does beat eight though. Any thoughts?

P

12 tracks does beat eight so does pan controls that you can touch and a touch screen display.

I do use a computer to do my cd burning and I use loops from acid for drums, record in tracks on cool edit ( when I do short flashes on my hammond b3 and my violin). so Your computer can come in handy for some things other than midi.

you can build loops and record them back into the hard disc and you drum tack is there along with other instuments instead of taking up valuable track space.

Yup. Touch screen on the Korg *shudder* Gives me chills . :p I love my D1600. Learning curve isn't bad, it's just that you gotta find the time, just to sit and play and learn. If the 12 is much like the 1600, and it seems to be, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to get one. Blows the pants off of the Fostex, and I don't know enough about Tascam's digital stuff to comment. I love my Tascam MK3 though.

Pete

Well! Touch screen, phantom power, twelve tracks & internal CD-R are sure helping to counter the lack of a korg forum. Tascam's home page has an excellent forum for the 788, but it's all almost all people who own a 788. I'm sure that their a bit biased toward the Tascam, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. It sounds like their both great machines, but it seems like the Korg has a couple really nice features that the Tascam doesn't.

Tascam has been making recording gear since the south won the war. Korg hasn't made as many models for home recording. Plus that old tape stuff Is going down in price all the time and more guys have it. that is why there is a tascam forum and no korg one

Even I use a tascam sub-mixer and its ok stuff, but I have korg d8 and a dw6000 digital synth and thier toneworks bass amp modeler. my roland and yamaha stuff is pretty good too.

If I had the money I would get the Yamaha 16 channel job that has the automated faders. Untill the 24 channel one comes out that is still King.

moterized faders on a home recording console awsome. only 3500us

:(
sorry- the d12 does NOT have a touch screen display, only the d1600 does, however- it looks awesome, and the prices of these systems seem to be going down all the time-
and with the internal cd drive option, how can you lose?
:)

sorry

D-1200 was the model i was talking about. I dont belive there ever was a d12 but the d-1200 does have the touchscreen I was talking about.

anyway It was my fault that d-12 was put down, sorry?

EQ on the Korg's????

Sorry if this is a dumb question, yall, but I was also considering the same purchases, though I hadn't really paid attention to the Korg models. Does the d12 have any kind of EQ controls??

Thanks!

Yes it has low mid high on each track. Its in the logic controls. I also use an outboard graghic between the d8 and the burner.
Hell I have a whole rack of gear between the d8 and the burner.

Be sure to audition a Roland VS-series HD recorder before making your decision. They are quite possibly the best HD recorders depending on your needs.

Korg..or..Roland, Korg..or..Roland hmmmm
Gotta go with the Korg. I had the VS880 for about a week, manual was just too busy. Took it back, purchased the Korg D8, Liked it soooo much, I bought a second unit. Guess what...16 tracks, well in reality, unlimited, once you stack and/or bounce. This is a very friendly unit. Adding effects is a piece of cake. Editing is very easily done. They sit side by side, sync'd together. all mixing is done on board, an I burn to a Pioneer PDR-W739
Works for me..

Korg d8 Not a bad choice for an old guy, I picked that one too but I burn to my computers cdrw so I can go thru my effects rack and take advantage of the audiophile sound card I put in.

Are you using a mic pre with the korg d8?

what kind of deal did you get on it ? I bought a unit that the tech thought was defective( he said It would not record , but it was in practice mode, so there really was nothing wrong with it) so I got it for 275.00 us. Brand new .

:eek: Maybe I should check out roland VS, but I'm totally new to this stuff, and to be truthful, I've been scared away from Roland recorders after reading all the post's of how complicated they are.

The thing that really sets the korg apart is the built in pres are good and the pan controls are where you can touch them and change them without going into the program to change them

Back