Know of any 16 input multitrack recorders?

mascis

I'm planning on recording a few projects live in a rehearsal room and I'm looking for equipment that can best do this. I'll need 16 inputs and unfortunately I don't have a laptop, just a desktop at home which I'll do the mixing on. I've been looking at the Zoom R16 digital multitrack, which can record 16 tracks simultaneously if you have two of them linked via USB. This would work well enough but I was wondering if there was any other equipment or approaches that I don't know of that any of you kind people could possibly suggest? Are there any other digital (or analogue) multi tracks with 16 mic/line inputs with simultaneous record?

If there are any analogue solutions out there I'd love to hear them too, I like the natural compression of and the hands-on feel to tape and it would suit the project well, but I can't think of any analogue solutions myself that would be worth giving up the convenience of a digital multitrack setup..:(

Thanks in advance for any responses

Thanks for the suggestion, an all in one multitrack like that is what I'd like but I thought that Roland VS1880 was only 10 input? 18 track playback and 8 simultaneous record. That's the impression I get on the Roland website

I could really do with 16 track simultaneous record you see

My first multitrack was an R16, and later on I expanded that with a second R16, and have used that setup to record several live gigs. It's a more than competent setup if you're dealing with loud sources such as a rock band.

If you're not looking for a board, I currently use two 8-input Presonus Firestudio Projects...linked together via firewire...they have really pleased me over the past few years of using them. Gets the job done quite nicely.

You can pick up a 24 track recorder by Tascam, Mackie, or Alesis for a very reasonable price on ebay. Just do some searching. That's the format I would go with.

Do you need mike pres as well?

Cheers :)

Back