Kluson vs. Grover

Anybody here try replacing the Kluson Vintage tuners on a Les Paul with the "modern" Grover tuners? Were they a direct replacement or did you have to drill new holes for the screws?

Was one better than the other?

Thanks

The Gotoh vintage style tuners fit exactly and preserve the look but but tune much more precisely. Please don't go hacking up your guitar. Grovers nowadays are nothing special anyway.

I really don't care for the look. They might look good on an antique acoustic, but IMO they look a little cheezy on a modern electric.

I would like to get some high quality gold tuners to replace the klusons but there is NO way I'm drilling holes in my new Gibson.

Newbie-Doo said:
there is NO way I'm drilling holes in my new Gibson.

Thats what I said.

...then I restrung a few strings on a friends guitar with lockign tuners and said fuck this. I damn near stopped in the middle of it to take my guitar in for replacements.

My LP had to have holes drilled, but for better tuning, its all worth it. Its not like my LP was a vintage one or anything.

You have to enlarge the hole for the Grover posts, and the screw holes don't line up. Go with the replicas.

Outlaws said:
My LP had to have holes drilled, but for better tuning, its all worth it. Its not like my LP was a vintage one or anything.

I repeat, there is no way I am drilling holes in...myyy precioussssss.....

Drilling holes for the screws isn't the big deal, you'll have to enlarge the hole the posts go through. It was a huge pain in the ass when I did it to my strat. I just about shit myself thinking I'd mess it up permanently :D

Back