Kinda gave up.

For certain in their particular medical field they all probably more than you do. Lets see how they do on a metal lathe or using all the machinery you know how to run.
You being a machinist can respect that in your expertise there are guys who are brilliant bad asses and ones that you would never let run certain machines or assign to certain projects. Even though they all in theory are machinist. Same with doctors you line 10 heart surgeons up and you have the worst at #1 the best at # 10...I sure as hell don't want any of them but #10 cutting into me ...Problem is it takes doing a lot of due diligence to figure out who #10 is.
Kind of like picking a stock but way more serious. Just walking into your local hospital and accepting what ever doctor they or your insurance allows you to see is similar to walking into the local mini mart and asking for a lotto ticket and thinking they are all winners. Not so much. When choosing what doctor you listen to, take advice or let hack and sew on you be sure you're seeing one that is really smart and proficient in their abilities... don't and it's totally luck of the draw.
Let me say, to that point. I have "consulted" many manufacturers over the years. Most of the improvements in the medical field have been engineering/manufacturing in nature. Biological improvements have been few and far between. Probably very little (not going to research) after 1960.

Modern medicine is an engineering marvel more than a biological marvel. (IMO)

Let me say, to that point. I have "consulted" many manufacturers over the years. Most of the improvements in the medical field have been engineering/manufacturing in nature. Biological improvements have been few and far between. Probably very little (not going to research) after 1960.

Modern medicine is an engineering marvel more than a biological marvel. (IMO)
I have made lots of parts for X ray machines, MRI machines, machines that make the artificial limbs and joints etc. I worked in one place and were were making breast trays
for breast biopsies. There was one operation where it was a real pain to get them on and off the fixture. I took the fixture off, did a little machining on it, replaced all the locking screws with wing nuts and stud. They gave me a 500 dollar bonus for knocking off about 5 to 8 minutes a piece. I used to get a lot of bonuses at that place. They sent to one machining center to see if I could speed it up. They were doing three parts at a time. We were making about 3 to 5 hundred parts a month. I designed new fixtures and reprogrammed it knocking about 22 minutes off each run. They gave me a grand for that. We were making a lot parts for a medical company named LORAD. Also GE. I don't know if they are still in business. This was all in the 1990s.

Saw a young man on TV yesterday, who used to play guitar and sing.
Think he was in the army. He lost one arm, and half the other, and his sight.
Bummer!
He was still positive about the future though.
Hope he gets on ok.

The one operation on the breast tray was when it was all finished, where the hole to guide the needle through had to be within .001 of true position regardless of feature size.. The hole was I think about .010 of an inch in diameter through 304 stainless steel. It was a bit tricky. It was at an angle to the tray and the fixture had to be made to so the tray fit at the proper angle to be drilled from a vertical position. 25.4 is the magic number for millimeters.

Saw a young man on TV yesterday, who used to play guitar and sing.
Think he was in the army. He lost one arm, and half the other, and his sight.
Bummer!
He was still positive about the future though.
Hope he gets on ok.
I don't know how I could cope with that, but life goes on. What can one do? With the right attitude who knows? My first sole consolation would be
I am not dead, then where do I go from here? I don't know if I would have the fortitude to carry on. I don't think any of us know unless we walk a mile in
those shoes?

About twenty years ago I was having a lot of pain in my hands. I went to the docs. They told me it was carpal tunnel and I would
have to have an operation? The sooner the better. I said hold on one minute. The one minute has turned into twenty years and the
pain went away long ago. Carpal Tunnel doesn't get better over time does it?
Haha, I've been diagnosed with carpal tunnel two separate times in the past and the pain I was experiencing is long gone. Good thing I am a procrastinator.

My arm is getting better little by little, I should be able to start again. It has been almost a year.

Back