Kinda amateurish question about the 896

Zeppelin456

Banana Co
I've been real close to purchasing a motu 896 for a while now but I'm still not completely sure:

how many tracks at a time can I record with it (taking my cpu, which is more than adequate, out of the picture)? In otherwards, I know it has the 8 pres but as a soundcard of sorts, how many tracks can I do at a time? Can I use other preamps with the motu preamps to do more than 8 tracks at a time or is 8 my limit on the 896?

Also, what about the 828? Assuming I had more preamps, how many tracks could I record at a time with that?

Any help is appreciated!

the 896 probably has stereo AES so thats 2 more channels....and it might have adat lightpipe which is 8 more channels the thing is they are both digital formats so you need an A/D before the AES and adat inputs then you connect a pre to that..

I sorta get what you're saying there....what kind of A/D converter would you reccomend buying? Am I going to need one with 8 channels (for the 8 adat lightpipe channels)?

i'm pretty sure you can connect just one stereo converter at a time with light pipe

converters to get... how much you tryna spend? number one on my list price being no object would be the benchmark ADC-1 and DAC-1...they are only stereo AD and DA

The 896HD will do up to 18 channels at once. 8 via the built-in preamps, 8 via ADAT lightpipe, and 2 through AES/EBU.

A good and easy way to add more preamps to the 896(HD) is to use something like the Presonus Digimax (96 or LT), or similar for the ADAT Lightpipe inputs. There are quite a few other preamps out there that take advantage of AES/EBU, and if need be you can buy a converter for preamps that only offer SPDIF.

The 828mkII actually does more I/O than the 896. 20 inputs at once...2 built-in preamps, 8 analog, 8 via lightpipe, and 2 SPDIF.

I have the 828mkII and am using the Digimax LT (ADAT Lightpipe) along with the RME QuadMic, Studio Projects VTB-1, and Presonus Eureka on the analog inputs...works great!! I don't think you can go wrong with either unit!

jay@kraftmusic.com

Last edited:
Back