Killing floor

jimistone

long standing member
An old Howling Wolf song. I'm playing all instruments and singing. I'm not satisfied with my lead guitar work on this...it's good in places but I think it could be better in other places.

Last edited:
Hey, great work. Always dig your guitar jams. Reminds me of some of the blues bands I used to go see here in Austin, back in the day. This one could easily go up on a local radio station playing home spun music.

The one stand out for me was the lead solo guitar doesn't fit in the same space as everything else. Feels different So, maybe there is some way to add some effects to the other tracks to match the lead guitar. I'm not sure. I get the 'take in a bar' reference. That's what it sounds like.

Hey, great work. Always dig your guitar jams. Reminds me of some of the blues bands I used to go see here in Austin, back in the day. This one could easily go up on a local radio station playing home spun music.

The one stand out for me was the lead solo guitar doesn't fit in the same space as everything else. Feels different So, maybe there is some way to add some effects to the other tracks to match the lead guitar. I'm not sure. I get the 'take in a bar' reference. That's what it sounds like.
Thanks for checking it out Chili. I always value your input. I had a sm 57 and a condenser mic on each speaker of the fender pro reverb one panned har left and the other panned hard right. I wasn't happy with the performance, the tone, and the way the guitar sat in the mix so I just re-recorded it. I went the more traditional route and just used a shure sm57 close on the speaker. I worked harder at getting a great tone from the amp and panned the lead guitar closer to center. I think it is much better now

Oh OK manslick. I thought you were saying you couldn't hear the drums that well in the mix and i needed to raise the level on the drums.
lol
They are Mapex acoustical drums.

The new mix is in bother soundcloud links. I hope I am getting closer but, sometimes your ears can play tricks on you when you try to mix right after tracking.
I haven't decided if the lead guitar is too loud or not. Any input on ths new mix is appreciated guys!

Keep it simple seems to work best. One mic. Your retake definitely sounds better.

I have very little experience micing an amp, I've been mostly in the box. But that might change soon, so I'll be in here looking for tips when I'm ready!!

Thanks Chili.
It's hard to beat "old trusty"...shure sm57 right on the speaker.
Best amp micing advice:
Get a killer tone before micing!

Great performance ! you really captured a "live" feel on this one. It doesn't sound as if it were comped at all. "Fantastic" job on the vocals. Enjoyed it .. mark

Great Job Jimi! Yeah the guitar sounded better second time around but first round wasn't bad...good yob mang!

Man, that's the way I like it. Great vibe, and yeah, it's exactly what you might hear while you're sitting in a club, sipping on some nice Jack Daniels on the rocks and enjoying some tunes. It doesn't sound "Produced", just nice natural playing. Nice job JImi!

Thanks TAE. Even though the guitar performance isn't my best work...I am EXTREAMLY happy with the guitar tone.
Better enjoy it because I don't think I could capture that tone again if my life depended on it
Lol

Great Job Jimi! Yeah the guitar sounded better second time around but first round wasn't bad...good yob mang!

Man, that's the way I like it. Great vibe, and yeah, it's exactly what you might hear while you're sitting in a club, sipping on some nice Jack Daniels on the rocks and enjoying some tunes. It doesn't sound "Produced", just nice natural playing. Nice job JImi!
Thanks for the listen and the kind words

One of my favourite songs. I love Jimi Hendrix's version live in Sweden I think it was. Spectacular.

And you've nailed the more traditional rendition here. The singing is great and all the playing is very cool.

Great song !!
There's so many really good versions of this tune, couldn't even begin to count
them. I think this version is right up there amungst some of the best.
Got great feel, vibe, musicianship, tone....... got it all.
Great job !!
Dig this

Jimi,
I have always been a fan of your recordings.
I listen to music here in the clinic often.
When I read the title "Killing Floor" I knew immediately that you were covering a great tune!
I like your version.
I remember the first time I heard the tune in 1968 when I bought the album recorded by The Electric Flag.

Back