Kill a snake for independent runs?

Goldenvoice388

So, in re-setting my studio (from analog to digital) I'm needing (4) 20' balanced cable runs for the monitors, and same (although shorter would work) for my outboard reverb.

Eyeballing a Canare snake: http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=60

I can get one of these in 8 channel format from a friend - barely used - pretty inexpensively. Is it fair game to simply strip the large PVC jacket off, and use the cables independently? Will the shielding be adequate?

Thoughts?

Thanks! G

wouldn't do it if i were you.... major pita... you'll end up with a bunch of individual wires with foil sheilds...

wouldn't do it if i were you.... major pita... you'll end up with a bunch of individual wires with foil sheilds...

Not sure about the particular brand/type being looked at...but not all snakes are like that. I pulled appart some Mogami, and each channel/cable had it's own outer jacket, so the shielding was inside...

...but yeah, I know what you mean, it can turn ugly with some. :D

For what is being discussed here...I would just get a bulk roll of some Canare or Mogami and some XLR-type conenctors...then I would make my own individual cables as needed, each cut to perfect lenght. :)

I keep a couple of rolls on hand along with loose connectors of all types...as you never know when you will need another cable. ;)

...(from analog to digital) ...
... and same (although shorter would work) for my outboard reverb.

Since you mentioned digital...if you're planning to run a digital line to the reverb from your DAW...
...the typical balanced audio cables may work, though you should use balance lines that are spec'd for digital.
There are specific impedance requirements for digital cables/signals.

So, in re-setting my studio (from analog to digital) I'm needing (4) 20' balanced cable runs for the monitors, and same (although shorter would work) for my outboard reverb.

Eyeballing a Canare snake: http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=60

I can get one of these in 8 channel format from a friend - barely used - pretty inexpensively. Is it fair game to simply strip the large PVC jacket off, and use the cables independently? Will the shielding be adequate?

Thoughts?

Thanks! G

I had some snake segments I aquired years ago and cut them for shorter runs, but I would advise not to cut the individual wires out and do what is recomended above and buy some bulk wire for individual runs.

Back