Kicks mics, expanded.

Stefan Elmblad

When I read about kick mics at this forum, everyone (more or less anyway) keeps the discussion within the AKG D-112, Shure Beta 52 and the Audio-Technica ATM25. I wanna hear some thoughts and opinions from those of you who have used the other kick mics out there.

I list all the ones I can think of, and then maybe you could post your comments on the ones you have worked with. Leave out the ones you recommend cuz someone recommended it to you but you never actually heard it. I'm not looking for rumors and buzz, I want the facts from those who used them. And for good measure, I throw in the big three at the top of the list too.

This is not a which-is-best question, but more a way of trying to gather different opinions on a wide range of mics that can be used for kick.

1. AKG D-112
2. Shure Beta 52
3. Audio-Technica ATM25
4. AKG D-12, D-12E (same mic, with or without cable)
5. Shure SM-57
6. Shure SM-7
7. Audio.Technica Pro 25
8. Electro-Voice N/D 868
9. Shure PG-52
10. Sennheiser E-602
11. Sennheiser MD421
12. Sennheiser MD441
13. AKG D-550
14. Audix D4
15. TSM MT52
16. Beyer M99
17. Beyer M88TG
18. Beyer Opus51
19. Shure Beta 91
20. Shure SM58
21. Shure Beta 57
22. Electro Voice RE20
23. Peavey 520i

If you've used any of these for kick, or some mic I've forgotten, post below what you thought of it.

EDIT: I added some mics (22, 23) to the list that you posted and I seem to have forgotten, to make the list more complete.

Last edited:
i'm not a pro, and i don't intend to make anyone belive i know what i'm talking about, but i have three records released by independent labels with recordings i've produced, and i've worked with a few of the mics in your list, so that validates at least partially my participation in this discussion.

anyway, the ones i've used are/were sm57, sm58, sm7, beta 57, akg d112, atpro25.

sm57 - usable sound, can even sound good, if you play with positioning, and have a good sounding eq to give it a little tweak.

sm58 - the same with a little more bottom end.

beta 57 - not as good as the above, but captures the attack really well. could work really well in combination with another mic, like a condenser.

sm7 - better than all the above, smooth, round kick sound. can get you a great kick sound if you work at it.

akg d112 - good for some styles of music, but definitely not my cup of tea. only used it once, but it sounded kind of muffled, and too big for the kind of music i record.

atpro25 - the best among these in my opinion. i used one of these to record a whole album (to be released on shelflife records, check it out - www.shelflife.com). nice tight bottom end, not boomy at all unlike the d112. it can also withstand quite a beating, and it's really inexpensive.

i also tried one of those sennheiser clip-on mics, and it sounded pretty similar to the sm57 and sm58.

1. AKG D-112 ; Worked with it once; liked it. Did the job. Would work with again.

3. Audio-Technica ATM25; Own one. like it. Does the job.

5. Shure SM-57; Works better than it's given credit for. Good slap.

6. Shure SM-7; Versatile, because it has bass attenuator and presence boost switches that help you monkey with the sound a little. Use a wind screen to protect it.

17. Beyer M88TG; I'm surprized this one was included, because I thought it was kind of rare. Actually worked with it once, and thought it sounded no different thant the ATM25. Very similar.

19. Shure Beta 91; This baby has one beast of a sound if you combine it with an sm57 for added beater slap. Delivers the kind of boom/punch worthy of electronic or even hip-hop on the right bass drum and with proper EQ.

20. Shure SM58; See 57 comment.

Peavey 520i . . . . . . . Electro Voice RE20 . . . . . . . . Shure Beta 52

520i and RE20 are both very punchy and would perform well when you want some nice punch with some click.

To me the Beta52 is more rounded and jazzy sounding. To me, this mic sounds like the Weezer bass drum sound.

I have used some others but Chessrock covered them.

Beezoboy

Shure Sm-57 -- Not the bassiest but does give a nice kick if it is positioned right (which isnt too easy to do)

Shure Pg-58 -- Muffled not too great bass sound but isn't that bad if you have nothing else to use

D-112- My weapon of choice. In a good kick, it provides the right amount of whump and click for me (what ever I use, I put up a LDC out 3 or 3 feet in front of the kick).
SM-57 (58 too as they're about the same thing)- As in all things, it depends on the particular kick. It can be just the thing.
D-12- Very nice rock & roll kick sound.
ATM-25- I used one over a weekend to see how I liked it. I bought another D-112.
I also tried an Audix drum mic kit that a drummer brought in. Didn't like them at all.
RE-20- Used one about 4 or 5 times. Great sound

i've used Apex 125's before and i think they make pretty good bass drum pedals. mind you i've only used them. i have yet to experiment with a 57 but the apex 125 does a god job from what i've heard

Re: Re: Kicks mics, expanded.

chessrock said:
17. Beyer M88TG; I'm surprized this one was included, because I thought it was kind of rare.

Well, it is. But I really wanted the list to be as complete as possible :)

If you're looking for a complete list, you may want to include the CAD Equitek E-100. I haven't used it, but did just pick one up for very cheap, and can let you know how it works out. It was recommended on numberous occasions for Kick applications.

Sorry, I know that you didn't want to hear that type of advice, but I figured that I'd throw it out there, in case anyone else had something to say about this mic.

-mg

The ones I worked with: SM57, EV RE-20, Beta 52, AKG D112 and a Sennheiser e609 (yes that square one, that's usually used for guitar cabs)

D112=very 'pre-fabbed' sound. Good for a certain sound, you always get that certain sound. Works better for live-use (with rock and metal bands). I don't like it much for studio stuff, since it imparts its OWN sound on your kick. This mic can make a $300 kick drum sound almost like a $3000 kick drum.

SM57=snappy sound, without much low. Does the job.

RE-20=great sound. Leaves the kick sound intact, and enhances it.

Beta 52=I've heard good stuff about it, but when I worked with it (on a closed jazz-kick) it probably sounded sucky, because the kick itself sounded kinda sucky.

e609=NOT BAD, my man, not bad! A little eq-ing of the low and low-mid can do wonders, and I prefer this mic for kick over an SM57.

I got a MD421 since 2 days, and soon I'll be recording another jazz-quintet, and I'll give the MD-421 a spin then...

EV N/D 868: I used it and thought it had nice slap and decent bottom end ... definitely more than just a "usable" sound. But keep in mind, I DON'T have much experience miking drums at all ... I've only done two sessions with drums. I noticed that the sound changed drastically when moving the mic around for position, but that could be more a function of what you'd have to do with ANY mic in this application than of any sensitivity specific to the EV868 itself.

I will be using a CAD bass drum mic in a couple of weeks. If this thread's still floating around, I'll give you my input on that one (the drummer coming in has a CAD drum pack, and unless that mic really sucks, we'll probably use it for kick. I'm pretty sure I'll be using other mics for overheads and snare, unless the mics in that kit are better than MXL 603s and an SM57 -- but I'll try 'em all ... ).

AKG D-112 - O.K., but I find it to be extremly picky about where you put it. When you find the right place, it sounds great, but it takes a while to find it.

Shure Beta 52 - My favorite for most things. Very easy to find the right place, and I don't have to work very hard processing once I find the spot. A little comprsion and I am set.

AKG D-12 - I hate this mic. I have never found the right place for it, though I have a friend who said he did once. Apparently it was the most glorious kick sound he ever got, but he couldn't never do it again.

Shure SM-57 - Not a mic I would use for kick, though it can give an interesting punk sound.

Sennheiser MD421 - again, not a mic I would use for kick, but it is O.K.

Sennheiser MD441 - I have never tried it for kick, but I do like it for toms. I like the 421 more though.

Beyer M88 - Great mic for kick. The perfect mic for R&B kick drum. Killer

Electro Voice RE20 - Classic. One of my favorites.

Light
headphones.gif

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Custom drums like Orange County (the 311 drummer plays them) and others can be very expensive per drum. Also vintage sets can be worth a good deal of money too like old Gretsch and Ludwigs in top shape. I don't think a bass drum would ever be worth 3000 on a vintage kit though, unless it had 24k gold lugs or something.

Beezoboy

Speeddemon said:
Well, if you work with drummers that own top-line Remo or Mapex kits... (Greg Bissonatte-signature...)

Maybe $3000 for the whole kit, but not just a bass drum.

If you've worked with a drummer who says his bass drum cost $3000, then you were getting smoke blown up your ass!

Better yet, if a drummer actually bought a $3000 bass drum, he's the one who was getting smoke blown up his ass!!

Back