Kick Question

Dioxide

I asked this in the drum section too but I also wanted to check here too.....

Now here is the thing the band I'm recording wants to use a sampled kick for there kick drum but....... I don't have a trigger system. Is there any way I can record the temp kick track and use a program to go in and creat another track w/ the sampled kick without going in and popping one in at a time? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tried going there but the server is down or something . I tried doing a search for the trail version but there all connected to the site does any one have a copy of the trial I could download from??????

Just tried it myself & looks like their site is shit right now. It's too big of a file or I would just email you the demo. You might have to wait till they get their feces consolidated.

that sux I appreciate the info though is it pretty easy to use? And how smooth does it work I mean can you tell its been sampled or does it just depend on the source?

It's very easy to use and it tracks amazingly (even does ghost notes). I'm not sure how it would do with a snare drum roll, but everything else I've used it on is incredible. I like to use it to mix a sample with the real kick in other words keep both tracks. What I do is this. If the original kick is missing something, I create a second track using the first track to trigger the new sound. I choose a sample that has mostly what the miced track is missing and mix it with the original. For me this works much better than EQing the piss out of the original track to try to get something that just isn't there. In other words let's say that the original track has a really nice snap, but not much low end. Instead of bumping the shit out of the low end on that track, I will find a sample that has a lot of low end and not much snap. When the 2 are added together you can get some pretty awsome kick.

If the song are recorded with clicktrack you can just use fruity loops to create a pattern and just paste it on an extra track.

this thought occured to me but there is alot of speratic double bass hits almost per say a Slipknotish sort of band with lots of time changes ie Tool so triyng it in fruity loops would be a bit of a pain in the ass. Not a bad Idea for maybe a pop song or something more 4/4 wothout many fills.

I`ve never done this, but doesnt Sonar and the other viable softwares have the ability to extract timing from a wav based on attack peaks in the wav and then convert it to midi? If it does, then that would be your ticket. You could edit at will from there, or if it fits just let the midi notes trigger the sampler for your new bass drum.

If the nabd has a MIDI voice module with the kick sound they want, just buy a trigger at Guitare Center (around $20 each); stick the trigger on the kick drum head; plug the trigger into the sound module' take the output of the module and recording on it's own track, and you're good to go.

Back