Kick mic placement?

SillySillyStacy

I have read through the site that lots of people like to place their mic inside the kick drum. I have a mic (akg d112) but am having trouble placing it inside.
I have a mini boom stand but even that is a little too tall. I know the easy way is to remove the head or rotate it so the hole is lower but a friend said they make a claw for kick drums mics? I know they do for toms and such but not sure about kicks. And is that more for live playing then recording due to vibration? Thanks in advance for the help...

Stacy

yes, "clip ons" are not really the best way to go, due to vibrations. If a drummer I'm recording doesn't have a big enough hole in their kick drum head, i'll ask them to take it off. i also use a d112, usually i stick it in the center of the kick, pointed directly at the beater.

I've never seen clip ons for kick drums, BUT the M.A.Y. internal drum mics are very nice. They mount inside on the screws of the lugs, you can buy just the brackets or a bracket with all the usual kick mics, they do the same for all mics, sm5 7 etc, so you can put them in snares, toms etc.

It allows you to have a full reso head on the kick and still mic inside, also the mics inside the toms and snares are very nice also, lots of attack and tone.

If a drummer I'm recording doesn't have a big enough hole in their kick drum head, i'll ask them to take it off. i also use a d112, usually i stick it in the center of the kick, pointed directly at the beater.

So leaving the front head off the kick drum is ok? And how close do you get to the inside head with the D112?
Thanks

yes, taking the front head off is perfectly fine. i have my d112 dead center, about 6 inches from the "rear" kick head, pointed right at the beater.

Back