kick drum poof

bluedaffy

Was wondering if I could get some ideas for how to get more of a "poofy" kick drum sound. When we recorded I positioned the mic to get it sounding deep, and it does, there is a lot of 60-80hz information there and not too much attack because I didn't want it for this particular song. This song is... lets call it an "uptempo ballad". The kick's home is under the bass guitar on this song and I am happy with the levels, but I want the kick sound to have less bite. compression? reverb? Thanks.

I just posted a thread about using envelope shapers and transient designers. If your DAW has one you can adjust attack and release without having to use compression or EQ. Its worth a try to see how it sounds.

Yeah, transient shaping software can help a bunch. Or....just layer a triggered kick sample to get what you want from it.

Posting a sample of what you have recorded would make things easier to give a direct opinion. If the kick sounds good to start with, then only some EQ/compression may be needed.

I myself, am lazy and don't even bother with capturing the actual sound of a drummers kick. But I do heavy rock stuff mostly. Greg might smack me across the face for that comment. :)

Greg might smack me across the face for that comment. :)

face_slap_in_slow_motion-2100.gif

Though what is up with the racist stigma that you implied by having a overweight white guy, being bitch slapped by a black dood? LMAO!

Shall we create a 30 page thread based upon the ramifications of what I just said? Maybe I should just ban myself...

Man, my cheek hurts....

No, none of that matters. I just needed something with cornrows. I've got a wicked set of cornrows.

Back