kick drum output

phlopip

so my kickdrum mic is a D112. i get quite a low out put from it. i record a mapex 22inch kick, with no soundhole on the resonant side. if i cut a soundhole would it give me a bit more. . . oomph?

You paying attention to your gain on the pre for the mic?

Positioning of the mic will change the tone, more so than sensitivity.
Unless, of course, the positioning is just to far away from the source.
Try the mic on a different pre, see if you get better gain. That's if your gain isn't enough on the current pre.
I've heard of D112 diaphrams sticking... not sure of the truth to it. Mine never has, but the posted solution was to subject the mic to some high SPL to try and free up the diaphragm.
Again, don't know the truth behind it, but have heard it.

hmm yeah i tried upping the gain but it just started clipping but still sounded low volume. i'll try n post a sound example

Your monitors probably don't have good low end response, so you just aren't hearing the volume. Cutting a hole in the reso head will give you more attack and make it sound louder and cut through the mix more.

Whenever people post something like this, my first reflex is to wonder what they mean by "low volume". Are you sure it's recording too low? Can you give us numbers? What level is it peaking at and averaging at?

I can't understand how something can clip and still be too low. This is what leads me to believe that your recording levels are fine and you just think they're too low. Don't compare your raw, un-mastered tracks to the levels of the "finished" CD's by the artists you listen to on the same system. Your tracks are supposed to be WAY Lower at the recording and mixing stages.

It's also important to point out that recording level and volume are two different things and should be treated as such. If you want to hear something louder, turn up the monitors. If you need more recording level, turn up the preamp.

Back