Kick drum hole location

EdWonbass

pull the goalie
Hey all you drummers, Is there an ideal place to put a hole in the resonant head of a kick drum for mic'ing? Currently I have mine about 3-4" from the edge. Its a hole about the size of a CD :p . It looks to be in the standard 4 oclock position but I want to move it to the 12 o'clock position so I can use that boom stand somewhere else. Is this a no no?

Does position of the hole have any relevance at all? I know it helps with kick back of the pedal, anything else?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Sure it does - a center hole will allow more air to pass through it since most of the pressure is from directly in the center of the drum. A drum with a hole out-of-center will resonate a tad more since the sound has more of an area, where the focused sound is (in the center) , to resonate (against the resonant head).

rweiss said:
Sure it does - a center hole will allow more air to pass through it since most of the pressure is from directly in the center of the drum. A drum with a hole out-of-center will resonate a tad more since the sound has more of an area, where the focused sound is (in the center) , to resonate (against the resonant head).

So as long as it's not centered it'll produce the same sound? If so how did it become common place for it to be in the 4/5 o'clock position?

Loaded Question

It will change wherever you place the Porthole.The point is the less diameter
the more it resonates.....

Tim Brown said:
Why don't you put it at the 6 o'clock position and just use a "mini" mic stand?

Tim

I have a fairly small mic stand that I got for mic'ing the kick and I was using a boom attachment with it but I think I can just go with a straight small stand and use my boom attachment on another stand.

It's totally untreated. I prefer to go natural. ;)
It's a crap reso head so I plan to replace it some time in the future.

Goldcan said:
So as long as it's not centered it'll produce the same sound? If so how did it become common place for it to be in the 4/5 o'clock position?
The 4 o'clock position is cool because the angle of the boom will naturally point the mic away from the snare. If you used the 7 o'clock position, the mic would be pointing at the snare.

Back