Kick / Bass Drum Head Recommendations?

Favorite Batter Head for Birch Kick Drum?

• Total voters
As what many others have said, I love my Evans EMAD.

I've also played around with the Remo Ebony Series Pinstripe with a seperate dampening ring(made of foam, about 2in wide around the whole head) attached the the inside of the head (makes an extremene difference) ...and was very impressed.

Typically, for a better punch with good sound, loosen the batter head but hit it harder. The looser+harder you hit it = the better the sound, and if you're not strong enough to hit it hard, look up leg excercises.

I'm still using the Premier resonant head that came with the set (~3 years old now), and am thinking about buying a "real" one to get it out of the way. What do you all recommend for resonant heads?

I just put the Aquarian SuperKick III batter on and like it better than the SuperKick I. The SKIII has a warmer sound, and mellows out the the overly-high/bright-slapping sounding tones that were accentuated w/ the SK I.

Bdrum said:
How are you tuning the head?I prefer to pull off the front head and loosen the top head so it's finger tight.If you hit the drum with a stick while suspended it will have alot of punch.If you want more tone tighten it just a hair so the slap is gone.The front head should have good porting for recording.For a big band sound no porting.(no muffling or little).If you want a big ringy John Bohnam sound leave the front head off and line the drum with foil.For recording I place my mic inches away from the front head inline with the beater.Hope this helps :)

I think heads are all the same :D

what kind of kick pedal are you using? felt, rubber, wood, etc. are you using a focus dot on the kick? what are you using to muffle it? are you cutting a hole in the resonant head? did you try it without a resonant head?

Pearl P100 pedal, felt side. No power dot...no hole cutting. pls read thread more carefully, i'm using the Aquarian Resonator head w/ 4.5'' mic hole built in. The batter hatter has a built in felt type ring at the outer edge that muffles the sound adequately.

Back