Kick and Bass to loud in the mix

KenB

I really struggle with leveling my kick and bass. It sounds good on the studio but in the car it is too much bass and kick.

I turn down the levels but still no change. Everything else sounds good.

What should my kick and bass level be I. The mix?

It sounds like you have a monitoring problem. What monitor speakers are you using? What's your mixing room like - size? Acoustic treatment?

We can't tell you what your kick and bass levels should be - every mix is different!

Mackie MR8’s with a subwoofer.

I have bass traps and acoustic treatment. Room is small 8x9..

if you have a spectrum analyzer,
run a pro mix (favorite song, ripped to WAV) thru your DAW session as if it was a new stereo track.

observe the low end in the pro mix.
take notes about which frequencies are peaking, or attenuated.

if that pro mix sounds weak in the bass, your environment is mis guiding you about the low end.
best you can do, is do a LOT of listening to pro mixes, and learn your room.
then tweak your mixes to sound similar.

you probably have nodes in your room, that are dipping the frequencies where you bass and kick are..
you are eq'ing and leveling based on your room, which is leading you down the wrong path.

you can spend big bucks on room treatment, spend much less bucks on VST plugs to 'eq your room' (room correction software) or you can learn what frequencies are getting clownphucked by your room and work around it.

if you have a spectrum analyzer,
run a pro mix (favorite song, ripped to WAV) thru your DAW session as if it was a new stereo track.

observe the low end in the pro mix.
take notes about which frequencies are peaking, or attenuated.

if that pro mix sounds weak in the bass, your environment is mis guiding you about the low end.
best you can do, is do a LOT of listening to pro mixes, and learn your room.
then tweak your mixes to sound similar.

you probably have nodes in your room, that are dipping the frequencies where you bass and kick are..
you are eq'ing and leveling based on your room, which is leading you down the wrong path.

you can spend big bucks on room treatment, spend much less bucks on VST plugs to 'eq your room' (room correction software) or you can learn what frequencies are getting clownphucked by your room and work around it.
Good advice.

Also, maybe try mixing much more quietly. It’ll take some of the room sound out of what you’re hearing.

Back