Keystation 61es - No midi signal since reinstall

Fishybob

Hi all

I've been using my M-audio Keystation 61es (USB) to input midi for about a year without a problem. Now I've reinstalled all of my software the computer fails to 'see' it as an input device. In the Hardware view of system it's there as unidentified hardware. It doesn't need drivers for XP... I'm, stumped! It is lighting up but no midi.

I've upgraded some of the PC componants recently, could this be draining to much power?? The PSU is still a cheapish 400w. I have 3 harddrives and a DVDRW.

I've had problems with a USB mouse too recently... please tell me it's not the motherboard!

*** I've tried both USB ports on the motherboard and two USB2 inputs on a PCI slot... still nothing!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Go back to the Hardware section. Is there an exclamation point on the icon for this device or is it a question mark? Does it say, in the properties for the device, "This device is working properly"?

Do you have any other random USB devices (like that mouse) you can test to make sure that it isn't your USB interface(s)? Also, what kind of motherboard or ready-made pc do you have (make/model)?

I have my wireless broadband receiver plugged in. If I put the keyboard in that one it still doesn't come up. I did have problems with that device too before the reinstall, which has now cleared up.

Motherboard is Gigabyte (about 2 years old... cost about £60 then... that's all I can remember - at work). It's a home build PC.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help. :o

Make sure that the Plug 'n Play service is started and set on "Automatic"...

Also, try (all of these included unplugging all usb periphials prior)

reinstalling the drivers for the USB controller (not keyboard)

or

uninstalling the drivers for the USB controller and rebooting (let XP do the homework)

P.S. Since you aren't sure of the model of the motherboard, do you have a CD with the proper drivers for it laying around? Use that if you have it.. Also, there is a chance that XP won't have the drivers for that controller, it's risky if you don't have any drivers to put back (aka you don't find the CD)...

Making any sense?

I think so...

I keep EVERYTHING. So I'm sure I still have the disc.

How do I go about uninstalling the drivers for the USB controller? This is something I've not heard of before.

This should work... What they are uninstalling is an ethernet adapter. You want to :

1) Unplug all USB devices

2) Uninstall anything inside the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" section (see above).

3) Reboot computer

4) Reinstall any drivers you removed

5) Test your keyboard again (with nothing else plugged into a USB port).

6) Tell us what happened....

LOL... that last one might come quicker than scheduled....

Good luck... :)

Bugger!

Tried the lot but still no change.

Any other ideas out there?... I can't believe that this keyboard has broken.

Try doing a google search for XP USB 2.0 driver..

I'm out of any other ideas at the moment...

Ahha! (not the 80's group!)

The midi cable had some thing jammed in it (possible from the port that was playing up before?) Now replaced it with a spare and PERFECT!

Wow my bank account was panicking then.

Thank you again for your time, efforts and general helpfulness.

... and relax... :)

Back