Keyboards and Sound Modules

Disco_Dave

I am a bassist who has in the last few years has got into recording my own stuff, however I am starting to feel restricted by the range of sounds I have at my disposal.

What I need to know is for a relative beginner (recording wise) what is the best way to get some new sounds, is it to buy a keyboard with lots of sounds on it or get a keyboard and buy sound modules?

What I's also like to know is what sort of keyboard do i need to play sounds from modules or samplers? Will any keyboard do it or do I need a midi keyboard?

I know these are basic questions but I have been unable to find simple explanations anywhere else. If anyone can help or has a link to a site that can help i would be very grateful.

I suggest getting a small MIDI controller (usually $100-150) and a cheap, good module like the Yamaha MU50. A setup like this will run you under $200 used and will allow you to pick up other relatively inexpensive used modules and try out many different types of sounds. I like the variety of different modules to chose from for creativity's sake, but the cheap, used Yamaha module sounds are a good realistic sounding place to start. Also, check out the whole MU series and the Roland JV series too.

Definitely go used at first, you can likely sell the stuff at what you got it for if you don't like it. Ebay is great!

Thank you very much for your response, I was expecting to get flamed for that sort of question!

So a midi keyboard is what I need to play back the sounds from modules then? That was really my main question and I think you answered it. Then a normal keyboard is one that has sounds built into it already? I could have gone into a shop and asked but i have to admit i was embararassed to admit my ignorance to someone face to face!

I have never used e-bay...seems that now is a good time to start! I always like to try and buy cheap to strat off with until you know that you are going to use something.

Thanks again.

It really depends on how many synths or sound modules you think you'll end up with. And even then, it becomes more of a space/convenience issue than anything else. Some people like having keyboards on all their synths because of the immediacy of it, they can just put their hand down and start playing.

However, if you collect a lot of synths, that can take up a great deal of space and actually become inconvenient!

I personally take the master keyboard and module approach in my own rig. I currently use one 88 key master controller along with 22 synth modules. My master controller is the venerable Yamaha KX-88, one of the best ever made in my opinion. For live gigs I use my Roland A-70EX, a 76 note controller.

If you go with the master keyboard route, be sure you get one with at least 61 full size keys, 76 or 88 preferably if you intend to do some heavy sequencing (not totally necessary but I really like to ahve the extra keys). Fatar makes some affordable master controllers.

Another option is to get a 61 note synth that has sounds built in, and use that as your master controller. At least until your rig grows too big for that. Using this approach you get a controller keyboard and sounds with your first purchase. You don't have to buy a keyboard and a module in order to get started in other words.

And yes, the keyboard must have midi built in. So this rules out many of the consumer home keyboards with speakers in them. But you were going to avoid those anyway, right? :-)

Good all around keyboards I can think of would be made by Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Alesis. Just go to a store like GC and play all the different keyboards they have, and you'll stat to get an idea about what you like. And don't be afraid to ask questions or play the keyboards in front of the sales staff or other customers! It's your money, so check out the gear in full.

It's SOOOOOOO important to try the keyboards out in person. Don't buy any keyboard out without first knowing what it sounds like and what it feels like. That's my advice anyway.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Like many men i'm not very good at asking advice, especially when it comes to music....I suppose I don't like admitting the fact that despite being an experienced musician there are still a hell of a lot of things I know nothing about! Thats why this place is so useful to me.

I suppose the advantage with having a keyboard and sound modules is that you have flexibility to change th modules if you don't like the sound, while not having to change the keyboard as well? I can't see myself buying that many modules, as my music is quite simplistic in production terms, but then again I might get a hunger for them and end up buying them in the way I used to buy basses......almost on a weekly basis!

I think a trip to Digital Village (the UK equivalent of Guitar Center) is called for now, thankyou for helping me to be a little less clueless!

I say don't waste you limited bones on new stuff when you can just wait a while and double your funds up to grab a used gem that's one the pro level. Save up to about $500 and go pawn shopping for a older KORG, ROLAND, ENSONIQ, or at least the YAMAHA PSR's past the 500 mark. Something with a sequencer and some heavy weight sounds. At least then you can use it as drum machine or back up band or something. Basically get a board you will be willing to take to your grave.

I bought my KORG 01/w fd for $500 five years ago in near mint condition. I still find it hard to consider anything as an upgrade to it. Even stuf like the TRINITY or even a TRITON simply don't cut it because the sound quality is just as good. Only thing is that being a older board gotta watch out for O.S. compatabilty and expandsion options will no dought be limited. All said... I'm glad as hell I didn't spend that 5 bones on a brand new PSR line something. Just because there are much better boards out there for te same prices used if you shop. But hell i've seen the PSR 530's go for $200 and just having the sequencer makes it a much more usuable board.

Like SA said check em all out first though...

One thing to note is that if it has built in speakers then it's probably a lot more fluff than usable features.

Good luck...

LAZI said:

I bought my KORG 01/w fd for $500 five years ago in near mint condition. I still find it hard to consider anything as an upgrade to it. Even stuf like the TRINITY or even a TRITON simply don't cut it because the sound quality is just as good.

I would have to disagree with you on that . To my ears there is daylight between the KORG 01/w fd and the trinity and triton sound quality but thats just my opinion.

Disco dave, go and try out some second hand gear and let your ears be the judge.

Jon.

groover_jon said:
I would have to disagree with you on that . To my ears there is daylight between the KORG 01/w fd and the trinity and triton sound quality but thats just my opinion..

It's all very subjective. The 01/W's filters were less bright and a bit "rough" sounding and that is a good thing IMHO, but the effects were poor and characterless. The Triton has a sound that is more "high fidelity" and detailed, with much better effects qualities.

The 01/W and the Wavestation are still good sounding machines even when compared to today's ROMplers, but it's hard to deny that the latest ones have a depth and breadth of sounds that nothing in the past did. I spent the last 12 years exploring the 01/W and I feel like I barely scratched the surface of it's capabilities, but the sample playback synths are so good now that I am going to have to add one in a few months- the Motif ES or the Motif 6. Probably the Motif ES, if it lives up to it's expectations.

Back