keyboard, video, mouse extensions

bleyrad

In my new warehouse space, my PC is going to be in a seperate glass closet that sits about 25-30 feet away from my planned mix position.
Does anyone have experience with running KVM extension cables? If so, what brands are good, and is it a good idea to pay the extra money for top-notch cable? What's the maximum length I can go without significantly degrading monitor picture quality?

Thanks!

I have my doubts about running cables (especially VGA) over a distance like that. But then again... There are KVM cables on the market of 10 meters (like 30 ft) so I guess it's feasible.

I'd definately recommend hi-grade cables and, like I said, especially for the monitor. When they run for such a long distance, they're destined to pick up some noise so proper shielding is a must.

I use extension cables myself for vga, keyboard and usb (mouse) but they're only like 8 ft long. Works just fine.

Can't really give you recommendations for brands. Just don't be too cheap.

There's extension boxes that run your KVM over Cat5 network cable.. I think BlackBox makes 'em amongst others. Expensive though - +500$

Herwig

Back