Keyboard Software

Wildtown

Hi there,
Does anyone know any free/cheap keyboard/synth software. Its only for putting a few ideas down so doesnt have to be great.

Cheers

Hey man thanks for the reply,
It has helped me alot but I still really havent found anything decent yet. Reaper has some virtual instruments but I dont know how to actually trigger them. I just looking for few simple keyboard/synth sounds to go with my guitar, just not getting any luck.

With what you are looking for, you won't find anything free. At most, there are a few demo programs out there, which are seriously limited (if you record with them, a lot of them will have a pulse or other annoying beep that you can't get rid of until you buy it and register it).
Your best bet is to put aside a few dollars and buy something you demo and like.

Reaper has some virtual instruments but I dont know how to actually trigger them.

You have a lot of work ahead of you. It seems like you are clawing your way up from the bottom of that fearsome learning curve.

Here's what you need to do get a VSTi going in Reaper.

1 Create a Reaper track.

2 Click on the FX button on this track and load a VSTi into it.

3 Arm the track for recording, and turn its monitoring on. You also need to select where the midi input is going to come from. If you have a midi keyboard connected, then you select this. Playing the keyboard should now yield a sound. If you don't have a midi keyboard, then you can select 'virtual keyboard'. You also need to go 'View'/'virtual keyboard'. Clicking your mouse on the notes of the keyboard should give you sounds.

Once you can hear something, you can start recording. This creates a midi track that will place those notes back to you.

Alternatively, you can go 'Insert'/'new midi item'. This creates an empty item on the track, which, when double-clicked, opens up to a piano scroll. You can add notes to this using your mouse.

Back