keyboard sampler?

noodles2k5

I'm looking for something to playback multiple sound clips during a live performance. Is there something like that in keyboard form? or a controller with large buttons? I've seen people playback audio from a minidisc player on stage, but I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

It will probably vary anywhere between 5 to 30 seconds. 30 is extremely exagerrated, but it would be reassuring to know I can do that length in the future if needed.

Is there anything where I can map a sound to a keyboard key? I have a 49-key MIDI controller lying around.

While you have many options, here are three:

1) A stand-alone sampler (like this maybe)

2) A rackmount sampler (that is controlled by your midi controller)

3) An average computer with a Midi In and an Line Out with a software sampler (also controlled by your midi controller)

Also, in additon to or instead of using that keyboard of yours, you could use this...

On the other hand, all three may be overkill depending on how elaborate your sequencing becomes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen those trigger pad type samplers around before, but I wasn't sure exactly how you get the sound onto them. But I guess they work the same as a MIDI keyboard controller.

trigger_finger_conn.jpg

Also... Here's some more on the software sampling...

noodles2k5 said:
I'm looking for something to playback multiple sound clips during a live performance. Is there something like that in keyboard form? or a controller with large buttons? I've seen people playback audio from a minidisc player on stage, but I'm looking for a more elegant solution.
Yup... Kurzweil K2x00 workstations. With the K2500 and up you can have up to 128MB of sample RAM installed. Would that be enough to store all the sound clips?

Back