Keyboard rec for a friend's daughter

OldGrover

A friend of mine's daughter is a music student in highschool at a Performing Arts school. She wants to get her a keyboard for Christmas without breaking the bank and she's asked me for recomendations. What she wants is a nice feeling keyboard, preferably 88 keys and a reasonable selection of sounds. What she doesn't need is the sequencer/sampler that most of the keyboards I've looked at have.

I'd like to keep the price down - up to $500 USD. Is this possible?

A possibility I've thought of is a midi controller keyboard + sound module, but that gets complicated, unless the sound module has speakers, etc built in. I'd really like an all in one, but building something is possible too.

This is mostly for practicing, perhaps a bit of performance and for composing the old fashioned way (sitting in front of a piano with pen and paper :) )

Suggestions? Thanks!

Yo Grover of Old:

Suggest you look at some "stage pianos." I just added a Korg SP-100 to my studio. It's a neat keyboard -- 88 keys with weighted action. Plus, it has a few features. Of course, the more features you want, the more you will pay.

Up until the Xmas season, I noticed some good buys on Yam SP's as well as the Korg.

The Korg is easily carried around; can be played any time by listening through the cans, thus not bothering anyone in the wee hours.

I'm sure the other models do the same. The SP's are a bit more than 500. But, worth the extra $$.

For less money, you can look as the Casio line which a a bit gimmicky but some of the better models put out a nice sound.

Maybe you can go shopping and strike a deal for a floor model?

Green Hornet

Back