keyboard Question

tpb

I play different instruments, My wife bought me a Yamaha YPG 625 last year and i recently upgraded my recording software to Studio 7 XL, I would like to start getting into MIDI programing my question is can I use this keyboard for a controller or do I need to purchase a midi keyboard. It does send and recieve midi information for loading songs. Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks Tim

In general...

If the keyboard has "midi out" plug on it, yep, you can use it to control any midi device.
If it has "midi in" you can control IT with any midi out device (keyboard, breath controler, etc.)
If it has "midi through" you can crontrol two or more midi devices with a third.
If you have TWO keyboards, both with "midi in" AND "midi out," you can control both from each.

meaning

It depends on what you mean by "controller".

This Yamaha does have USB to MIDI on it, so it is able to send MIDI notes to your software, and so within that department, it will work. There's no reason why it would not.

But if you are using the term "controller" as a lot of software studio musicians do nowadays, then that requires a MIDI keyboard that can also use all of its knobs, sliders, and buttons to send MIDI information to control parameters on your software, in addition to the basic MIDI note information.

Using an extensive MIDI controller (including the knobs, sliders, buttons) is supposed to make using your software faster and easier. Without the extensive feature list on your keyboard, you will have to use your mouse to click on parameters in your software.

You can still play the YAMAHA keyboard to play the sounds in your software on your computer.

Thanks

like I wrote I am new to the keyboard thing and appreciate all the help I try to find the answers before asking questions. But was stuck on this one appreciate your time to educate me.
Tim

Back