Keyboard key problem

trumpino1

Dedicated
Hello all. I have a Roland HP 2800 that I got from a friend who was just going to throw it away. The reason they was getting rid of it is because a few of the keys don't raise back up after they are hit. The keys themselves still make a tone if you raise the key and press it back down, but it won't return on its own. Is there a way that this can be fixed?

I've never been real big on fixing my own instruments but I would love to give this a try, seeing how I have no money invested in it. It seems like a really nice instrument and I wouldn't mind putting a little money into it if it isn't too much and it is worth it. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Trump

I would take it apart. I've done my M-Audio keyboards and some DX7's.

Get a decent tidy space (workbench preferably) to work on. I put down a towel. Most keyboards have screws on the bottom that hold the top on.

Take lots of pics and notes if you need to.

I use an ice cube tray to put groups of screws in, and I start at one end.

When you take out a bunch of screws, make sure they are identical (same length, pointed vs not etc...).

An old auto trick is to take a piece of cardboard and draw the shape of a part you're going to remove on it. Then you punch small holes in the shape you drew where the screws holding it on are. Then when you take off the screws they go in those small holes you punched. That ensures that all the screws go back where the came from. That isn't always important but it's safe and sometimes it does matter because one screw will be say slightly longer or the threads may be screwed up a bit.

I would take it apart. I've done my M-Audio keyboards and some DX7's.

Get a decent tidy space (workbench preferably) to work on. I put down a towel. Most keyboards have screws on the bottom that hold the top on.

Take lots of pics and notes if you need to.

I use an ice cube tray to put groups of screws in, and I start at one end.

When you take out a bunch of screws, make sure they are identical (same length, pointed vs not etc...).

An old auto trick is to take a piece of cardboard and draw the shape of a part you're going to remove on it. Then you punch small holes in the shape you drew where the screws holding it on are. Then when you take off the screws they go in those small holes you punched. That ensures that all the screws go back where the came from. That isn't always important but it's safe and sometimes it does matter because one screw will be say slightly longer or the threads may be screwed up a bit.

Thanks for the advice man. I really appreciate it. Good advice on taking pictures and using the cardboard to draw where the parts go, I will definately do that because I am sure there are a lot of screws and things I will be messing with. I have taken apart playstations and X-boxes and fixed them before but never something like a keyboard and definately probably not as many screws.

Also, I think this thing has the weighted keys on it like a real piano. Have you ever dealt with these and if so what can I expect to find that is pushing the keys back to the original position, some type of spring or what? Thanks for helping out. It is much appreciated.

Trump

... Also, I think this thing has the weighted keys on it like a real piano. Have you ever dealt with these and if so what can I expect to find that is pushing the keys back to the original position, some type of spring or what? Thanks for helping out. It is much appreciated.

Trump

I wouldn't have a clue on that one. You just have to be a detective. On my Yamaha DX7 they had small flat pieces of metal that acted as springs. Yours will be different of course. On the keyboards I fixed I was able to find replacement keys on line.

That's awesome man I appreciate the quick responses and I will see what happens. You have been a great help. I will let you know how it comes about.

Trump

Back