Keyboard Controller Compatibility Question

Marguerite

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone could guide me. I want to buy a keyboard controller and was wondering if they are generally compatible with most software. I am using Cubase LE, firebox, with my Ibook. I am thinking about purchasing the M-Audio 02, or Oxygen 8 to start out with.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

Sure. Just pick one.

They're made to be universally compatable as long as you have an open USB port.

If all your USB ports are full you can either buy a midi interface or a USB port expander.

MIDI is compatible with MIDI. The whole idea of MIDI is that all MIDI hardware is compatible. So for MIDI gear, you just connect your MIDI keyboard's MIDI Out up to the MIDI In socket on your soundcard.

When you start fannying around with USB stuff, things seem to get less compatible... :)

Though ....

When you get one of those controllers, you presumably don't want only to have the keys make notes, but also to have the knobs and sliders and buttons and what-have-you do something in your software ... preferably something kind of useful or at least interesting.

Of course, any control that can be programmed to send the MIDI control/program-change/whatever message that's appropriate for your software will work if it's programmed to do so.

Where there may be a difference in different controllers is that some include the pre-sets or "templates" that make them particularly useful with the particular software sequencers or synth or effects that you have. They're all compatible (if you do the programming), but some may be more compatible than others (because you don't have to).

Or, as Agent 47 said:
When you start fannying around with USB stuff, things seem to get less compatible

Wow, I nominate this post as the post with the most gratuitious usage of the word "MIDI" :D

Agent47 said:
MIDI is compatible with MIDI. The whole idea of MIDI is that all MIDI hardware is compatible. So for MIDI gear, you just connect your MIDI keyboard's MIDI Out up to the MIDI In socket on your soundcard.

When you start fannying around with USB stuff, things seem to get less compatible... :)

Back