Kel HM2d

tmix

Well,
Due to the fact I absolutely love my Kel HM1's (drums / violins/ mando / banjo) I pulled the trigger on the new HM2d which is a large diaphragm condenser that is voiced to be similar to a large diaphragm dynamic (similar to an SM7).

I had been trying to buy a SM7 under $250 with no luck.

My first impressions:

wow! I really like it! It does sound excellent, perhaps a little too big in the low end (around 120 hz) for my voice, but MAN does it have some reach!
I tried up close and personable as well about 8 feet away and even at 8 feet away through my RNP cranked about 3/4 gain it was rich and full sounding.Not sibilant or small sounding at all.
It sounds less bright than a MXL V67 but more mids to low end. It is pretty forgiving when you crank the highs to add some sizzle similar to the way a ribbon does. It is about 6 db hotter than a V67 set on the same setting , but about the same as a Studio Projects B-3 set on cardiod.

It does not sound like the HM-1s at all, but is in a complimentary vein. I personally don't like the hm-1s on voice.
It sounds exactly like what I wanted for a voice over mic. I was actually buying it to use for a front of kit drum mic , but I can see it is going to work well for Rock vocals as well as meaty sax tracks.

Well, off to experiment!

I thought I would just spread the good word!

Oh yeah...... they are about $150 bucks!.......shipped!
Hurry, don't walk to your nearest computer and order!
Tom says they are good!

Tom

Back