Keep reading, keep getting confused...

kp174

hi everyone,

I have been reading a lot about recording these past few months and have purchased some equiptment for a small studio I am building behind my house. I have a Tascam 414 multitrack, and some other outboard equiptment like effects and stuff (nanoverb). What I want to do is make really great demos and cd's for friends and for my own use, but quality is important. I usually will record one track at a time, but I want to be able to record multiple if necessary. Should I invest in an ADAT? I want to be able to incorporate my computer into all of this if possible, but I dont want my other gear to just rot away due to lack of use!! Is there a way to incorporate all of these things into a great sounding studio?? what about the 414, can that be used with a computer?? thank you so much for the help!!

Follow the guidelines in the manual for keeping your 4-track in good shape and only use good, new tapes in it. Keep your "work tapes" in cases and out of the sun unless you don't mind re-cutting everything ;). The quality of a 4-track depends on how well it has been maintained up to now, how much you use it, and how well you maintain it from this point forward.

My approach in your situation would be to learn as much as you can about multi-tracking by using the 4-track. At the same time, read up about the other stuff. You'll be recording now, and learning what you'll need if and when you outgrow what the 4-track can do. I'm very partial to the computer recording route for multiple reasons. Dollar for dollar, I think you get more power with the computer.

Great, thanks for the help. Now what advantages would I get using my 4-track in conjunction with my computer? I know its nice to use it to mix down to cd and everything, and also for effects, but I dont want to have wasted money on the effect boxes I already bought!!

At this point, I'm recording everything direct to the hard drive on my computer. If you get comfortable using multi-tracking software, the 4-track probably won't get as much serious use. It's dificult to sync things between a tape motor and a timing clock. Better to just record everything to the computer and bypass the tape. A 4-track can still be handy though... very portable and a great "sketchpad". There have been plenty of times I wished I had one lying around.

You can possibly start recording on your PC with just a few cables and/or adapters. You can use the pre-amps in the 4-track (out to your sound-card) and pick up a demo of N-track and you might be on your way. It depends on your computer and soundcard, though. Most newer machines can handle 8 tracks at once with no effects without breaking a sweat. An older machine might not be able to keep up too well.

It took me over a year to get really comfortable with computer recording, though. That's why it can be nice to just "push the buttons and go" on the 4-track while you experiment and read up on the PC side of things. I would definitely advise squeezing as much as you possibly can out of your setup before making purchases, unless money is no object. That way, you usually know exactly why you're buying something when you plop down the cash. I've seen a lot of disappointed people who buy things in hopes that it will improve their sound, but not really knowing how. Remember, there are always better mics, better monitors, and oodles of things that can improve your setup regardless of what you decide to record on. The more you play with what you have, the better idea you'll have on how to improve your setup for how you work.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kp174:
Great, thanks for the help. Now what advantages would I get using my 4-track in conjunction with my computer? I know its nice to use it to mix down to cd and everything, and also for effects, but I dont want to have wasted money on the effect boxes I already bought!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, it's kinda expensive to integrate computer recording and outboard exquipment, since that means you need a good soundcard with multiple in and outs. Probably 8 outs and ins are needed, at least. So it's usually easier to choose one path. (An neither one is wrong or right).
My usual advice is to really figure out what you feel is the limitation with your current setup? Are you happy with the 4-tracks, but think your reverb sucks, or do you feel 4 tracks are just not enough, for example. The answer to what you should do can't be found unless you know what you need. :)

I think one problem is I feel like I am limited with just 4 tracks, but I was given the 4 track as a gift and don't want to waste the money away. Using it as a sketchpad is a great idea, one that makes me feel better. Is it definetly possible to record on a 4 track and mixdown to CD on the computer?

On the PC you'll probably mixdown to .wav format and burn those files to CDR. If you have a decent A/D converter on your soundcard you won't want to record on the Portastudio.
I made the transition from a Porta-07 to a PC-based HD recording system but I still use the Portastudio every day as a scratch track mixer, and when pressed, for the mic pres or the headphone/monitor out.
I've never regretted buying it, even though I never made any great recordings on it that I mixed down to two tracks. Once you hear the noise floor of nice digital recording, you won't want to mess with cassettes.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 07-24-2000).]

Back