Kassa and ghosts from the past

John Sayers

Solar Power!!
Wow - I found an MP3 of a recording I engineered in 1969!! It's called
.The Real Thing. The artist is Russell Morris - the writer - John Young - the Producer - Molly Meldrum.

It was recorded on a Scully 1" 8 track recorder years before digital effects etc. My only reverb was a EMT140 plate. The phasing effect is tape phasing using two Ampex AG440s, one of them varispeeded with a huge 300watt power amp driving 240 volts with variable frequency to the AG440 capstan motor. You record/playback onto each machine and join them back together. As you vari the speed of one of the recorders the effect starts. It was released in mono like everything else in Aussieland at the time.

It was the first 6min single ever released in OZ and shot to No1 and is now an aussie classic and constantly used to depict the 60s and the psychodelic hippy trippy thingy.:)

cheers
john

John,

That wasn't John Paul Young was it?

What did you think if Midnight Oils cover of Real Thing............personally I was left speechless:rolleyes:

:cool:

No John Paul Young was much later - I haven't heard the Oils version - I really can't imagine Peter Garrett singing it :eek::rolleyes:

cheers
john

I cant wait until sluice hears this.

Is that you sluice?

Come on, come clean.

Peace
Bill

Oops: that was the sluice track I heard:o :o :D I thought it sounded the same.

Sorry about that post

Peace
Bill

I have been listening to this song on loop for the past 25 minutes trying to find the thread that I downloaded it from..

I can honestly say I loved the tune..

Hey checked this out on phones because my girlfriend's sleeping next room over.

But man, that's very cool. I think I've heard this once or twice? Sounds very very familiar. But I wasn't even born when this was done.

Thanks for sharing. I think I'm coming down though, so I better go.

Are those cops out there? What was that noise?

(Nope, not me Bill. :) )

That's pretty cool. What is that delay on the vocals during the verse? Is that a seperate vocal track? Cool effect. The flange sounds awesome.

Back