karma k6 problems

iivanov88

I got this mic a couple of months ago but haven't used it much until today. sometimes it doesn't make any sound except a hiss, sometimes it has very low gain and sometimes it works fine. to fix its state from bad to normal it requires a stroke (i know, probably really bad, but by experimentation I found this out). I'm guessing the ribbon is loose or something. I don't know anything about ribbon mics or how they work so I don't want to ruin it by trying to fix it. does anyone have any suggestions?

Most likely it is whether loose contact, something shorting, or ribbon clamps are not tight enough. Open it up and look if you can see anything.

Best, M

that particular ribbon needs phantom power-- are you using it consistently? also are you sure that your cable is okay?

that particular ribbon needs phantom power-- are you using it consistently? also are you sure that your cable is okay?

haha i'm not that stupid. and yes the cable works good with other mics.

but I'm afraid to open it up in case I screw something up. is there any risk in this?

haha i'm not that stupid. and yes the cable works good with other mics.

but I'm afraid to open it up in case I screw something up. is there any risk in this?

There is always a risk to screw something up... depending on how talented you are ;) :D

Unscrew the collar on the bottom and slide off the housing tube. The whole electronic circuit will be exposed now and you will see lotsa SMD stuff there.

To get an access to the motor you will need to remove two screws, which bolt on the grill. The ribbon has protective screens which are clamped to the motor frame. Leave those on.
Tighten the ribbon clamp screws and you should be back in business. If not shoot me PM.

Best, M

Actually, I would definately not open it up yet since you said you just got the mic a couple of months ago. I would give Karma a call first.

But are you using phantom power??? The K6 is a phantom powered ribbon mic. Honestly that's the first thing I thought, it needs phantom power to function as designed.

yes I am, I can't see any other implication inherent in my saying I'm not that stupid.

yes I am, I can't see any other implication inherent in my saying I'm not that stupid.

Prefacing the "I'm not that stupid" with a haha led me to believe that you may have thought that kojdogg was trying to pull a fast one on you. Since most people hold fast to the belief that phantom power ruins ribbon mics. That's all.

Prefacing the "I'm not that stupid" with a haha led me to believe that you may have thought that kojdogg was trying to pull a fast one on you. Since most people hold fast to the belief that phantom power ruins ribbon mics. That's all.

well I suppose you have a point there now that I think of it and I apologize.

Back