Karma k10s?

Dax Productions

I was thinking of getting a pair of oktava sdc's but came across karma audio. All of their mics seem to get rave reviews, but I can't find any info on these guys. Anybody know anything about them? I'd definitely like to save $400 for something else and get these guys, but I'd like to hear them or hear what some people think of them first.

Going for a poor man's km84 (hence the oktavas).

The reason Karma's usually get such rave reviews is because of the cost factor. Someone is willing to laud a microphone if it is okay but cost them next to nothing as opposed to a slightly better product for a dramatically higher price. that being said, I have not used the K10's, but for the price, it seems like you could check them out and if they work, great, if not, you're not out a bunch of cash. Oktava's have a good reputation for a reason (at least the MC012 does). What specifically are you looking to do with the mics?

I'm looking for a pair of pretty much all purpose sdc's. I'd like to be able to do an xy or ortf or just a dual mic setup on acoustic guitar, throw them up for drum overheads, maybe even throw one on a guitar cab to supplement a 57.

The most immediate/important application would be acoustic guitar though.

That's kind of what I was figuring too. For $100 for a pair, even if they're not that great, I'm sure they'd be usable for something.

I have a pair of se electronics se-1a's. They are not sennheiser mk25's or anything, but they sound great for acoustic guitar and drum overheads. I picked up b-stock ones from fullcompass.com for pretty cheap. I also hear rode nt5's are pretty good.

Karma is AFAICT a Chinese rebadger that runs out of a guitar maker shop about three blocks from where I work. They sound very similar to many of the group buy mics I've seen, though the enclosures are different.

If you're looking for mic to mod, the Karma mics are good choices. Their K58 tube LDC is a great mic for modders, IMHO, because it has an oversized body that you can easily sandwich other parts into (e.g. a large transformer). That said, the stock K58, even with a tube swap, still doesn't feel as nice on my voice as my CAD M9. I think it really needs a different capsule to sound good on tenors, though I get the distinct impression it would feel good for altos or mezzos. It's a little too clean and a little too spitty, IIRC.

As for the SDCs, I've tried various cheap Chinese condensers (which the Karma mics are). They all have a certain characteristic sound to them---significantly rolled off low frequency and lower midrange response, flat across the mids, and a harsh, brittle presence peak as you start into the high frequency range. I highly doubt theirs are significantly better in this regard. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised.

If you're looking for something under $100 apiece, the only thing I'd recommend in that range would be the Naiant family of mics. They're very accurate, so if that's what you're looking for, you've found your mics. Some sources need a little more warming up, and for that, IMHO, an MK-012 pair is really something to behold. The Oktavas are fairly warm sounding mics, not thin, harsh, or brittle like the Chinese mics I've tried, so they'll immediately sound very different from whatever mics you're currently using. Both the Naiants and the Oktavas are my first pick for a wide range of applications, and you won't regret buying either of them.

I wish Jon still made the MSH-4, though. Out of all of my Naiant mics, those are my favorites hands down. *sigh*

FWIW, I've always been told that Karma has their own "factory," and yes their owners also run Halo Guitars. Karma mics resemble sE mics more than any others at least cosmetically. I've found Karma to be run by nice folks with good customer service. I owned a few of their mics-- a K-58, a couple of K-6's and some of the 2nd gen ($5) K-Micros and thought all of them were very good for the money. I preferred the K-58 with a nice 6072a tube to a Rode NTK stock and liked the sound of the K-6's a lot though mine were from the 1st batch and a bit noisy for solo'ed instruments. I've never tried the K-10's.

I too wish that Jon still made the MSH-4. I tried the 1O's, 1's and 2's and dug them all, but missed out on the 4's. I also liked the Oktava MK-012's a lot-- particularly with Michael Joly's Oktavamod magic done to them, though I sold those during a "rightsizing" period of my home setup.

Back