k so what to buy to upgrade help please?

D40-Oz

so im either choosing to buy an shure sm7b ( i do rap vocals )
or either the Avid mbox mini

i own an tascam us-122 mkii and an audio technica at4040
with what i got i dont find it very awesome sounding, i always have to eq alot and compress alot.
if i buy the Avid mbox mini how much different would it sound from my tascam?
and if i bought the shure sm7b will it sound alot different then my at4040 if im still using my tascam?
cause i was reading up that the The Mbox Mini?s converters deliver 24-bit, 48kHz sound
but the tascam us-122 mkii delivers 24-bit, 96khz.... anyone help me out with what would be a good idea to do with my money for keeping it under the $400 mark??

hey man, you should do whatever you want. if your upgrading from what you have its always to go one piece at a time so that you can really learn how to use each new piece of equipment.

in my opinion, DO NOT BUY THAT AVID MBOX MINI. PLEASE.

if you plug that shure sm7b (yes buy that its really great) into that piece of utter crap i may have to come find you and smack you. half of them are defective out of the box. and they sound terrible. they are so noisy.

if you want to look into an interface or preamp for under 400, then look into the Apogee units. they have WONDERFUL pre's in them and you can do vox. quick question, will you only be doing vocals? or other instruments?

heey sorry for the longest reply in time haha, i did not buy it, but as you were saying the Apogee i really would like to get, but im not useing mac which i wish i was,
but i was looking at the Cakewalk UA-25EX USB, do you think that would be a good choice ?

What is your recording environment like? No matter how good the mic is, your room can negate any improvement.

I'd say that the AT4040 into the Tascam US-122 should give you a pretty good sound, plus with rap vocals you would normally fo quite a lot of compressing and EQing. Any problems you might be getting maybe due to mic technique. It's more often than not a problem at source.

The Tascam converters are actually pretty good for the price, though I'm not sure about the mic amps on them. You might be better getting a nice mic amp. Something like this:

NV73 DIY KIT

Or spend your money on some nice plug ins. I'd recommend the Waves SSL package.

so im either choosing to buy an shure sm7b ( i do rap vocals )
or either the Avid mbox mini

i own an tascam us-122 mkii and an audio technica at4040
with what i got i dont find it very awesome sounding, i always have to eq alot and compress alot.
if i buy the Avid mbox mini how much different would it sound from my tascam?
and if i bought the shure sm7b will it sound alot different then my at4040 if im still using my tascam?
cause i was reading up that the The Mbox Mini?s converters deliver 24-bit, 48kHz sound
but the tascam us-122 mkii delivers 24-bit, 96khz.... anyone help me out with what would be a good idea to do with my money for keeping it under the $400 mark??

You may want to check out the EV RE20 or it's new sibling the EV 320!

I was looking for something to improve my vocal setup, and went with an sm7b. It was a HUGE improvement! Yes, pres and a/d/a are verrry important, but a good mic will give you very audible results.

Drew

Back