Just upgraded my soundcard

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
I just bought and installed an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. The previous card was one of their Revolution gaming cards. I didn't think I'd actually be able to hear a difference between the cards, especially on these computer speakers, but wow, things are so much clearer. I can finally hear details that were getting lost before. I'm sure some of it is psychological, but there is definitely a difference. I opened up a recent project that I've spent many hours tweaking, and now I hear details I was missing before that were making it difficult to edit. Of course I still need a decent pair of monitors and more importantly, a better acoustic space to work in, but this is a step forward. Now can I get some pats on the back?

Way to go.I upgraded to the same card a couple years ago after recording on a blaster for years.A couple months later I upgraded from cheap speakers to a pair of Wharfdales.
Get yourself some decent monitors as soon as possible.It will compliment your sound card alot!

beezelbubba said:
Way to go.I upgraded to the same card a couple years ago after recording on a blaster for years.A couple months later I upgraded from cheap speakers to a pair of Wharfdales.
Get yourself some decent monitors as soon as possible.It will compliment your sound card alot!
There's a pair of nice Tannoys my dad is using as speakers for his home stereo. :(

When I go home for summer I'm going to switch them with my stereo speakers and hope he doesn't notice. ;)

I'm really annoyed with the subwoofer that these computer speakers have. Way too boomy, I can't believe people actually like this sound.

I also noticed a difference after switching to the 24/96. I'm still using small Creative desktop speakers but I've gotten used to them after the past 4 or more years.

IronFlippy said:
Way too boomy, I can't believe people actually like this sound.

I just keep the sub woofer off completely. If the song has a lot of bass in it, I just burn several different mixes to a CD and listen on different systems. I can usually get it right by the 2nd CD.

hello hello,

hey ironflippy... i think i may be in the same situation as you... expect a few steps back.

i currently use a sound blaster gaming card, sb live, for my home recording. i like it, i like the lo-fi ness and all... but im most likely going to upgrade in about 1 month.

i was looking to get the soundblaster x-fi elite pro... and keep my sb roots.

but i also think of getting it together and actually buying a soundcard that is MADE for music recording, like the 24/96 or something else.
i mean, the x-fi elite is gonna cost me 260 bucks, and maybe with that money i can get a nice real sound card.

what do you think? is it really worth it?

by the way, i record EVERYTHING digital... in that i dont use a mixer... i mic my guitar amp and run it straight to the soundcard in. (built in preamp).

The pre amp is built in to what? The Audiophile doesn't have any. It sounds like you might be better getting one of those external units, like the mbox. I run my mikes through a mixer before it hits the sound card. I love my setup, but it doesn't seem like it would well with you.

If you like the lo-fi sound, then why are you running everything digital? It seems counterintuitive to me.

Yea man, get you a set of powered studio monitors. When I first switched to an Audiophile and M-Audio SP5s from a soundblaster live and pc speakers it was like a ray of golden light shone down on me from the clouds and a choir of angels went "Ahhhhhhh"......it sounded THAT much better. It really did.

The very next thing I noticed, was exactly how shitty all my recordings sounded.

amra said:
The very next thing I noticed, was exactly how shitty all my recordings sounded.
I'm hearing that even with just the new sound card. Well, here's to hoping a nice pair of Tannoys will be in my possession soon.

Back