Just to Stay

I would take out that drum fill in the beginning. It's off beat unless you cut the clip and make it work. But rhythmically it's not really cutting it. Actually a lot of the rest of it is very rhythmically discombobulated. The piano part gets out of time with the bass a lot and vice versa.

Cool song nonetheless. The vocals are definitely the best sounding thing going on here. Clean with what to me sounds like an appropriate reverb. Sounds very nicely when you get the ohhh's going. The mix fills out nicely during those times.

When the timing is on I really enjoy the mix. Keep up the good work. I can hear your Neil Young influence. :)

I agree with Erockrazor about the drum fill at the beginning.

The vocals and guitars sounds very good, i liked the piano, as Erockrazor said, is out of time with the bass, but that gives it more life i think, so i personally don't have a problem with that. You could work a little more the Harmonica, don't stay in one note, try to use the 3erds or the 5ths to give more melody to it.

Good Work...

really nice recording..I liked it all, even the drum role intro..it has a kind of sloppy live feel about it which I really like

the only thing I criticise is how easy it is to spot your influence..Neil Youngs one of my favourite singer songwriters so I understand the adulation but the initial couple of bars sounded like you were mimicking him rather than being influenced by him imho... you need to get a wee bit more of your own personality stamped on this

great singing apart from that... have a rep point :)

Agree that it's got real good recorded sounds.

Some places where I think it could be improved:

The only glaring bad thing is the C harmonica playing an E- chord over the E7. That minor third just screams. Ouch. [even when played softly...like you could hear it wasn't working when you laid it down] Do a switcheroo on the harps for that chord...or stick your tongue in the G hole when you blow!

The vocal melody is weak....there is one spot I remember when you sang the root chord note at the end of the verse phrase...you noodled down to it...it was nice. I think you lay on the -3 note, usually...and it doesn't close the melody line. And , I think it could be sung with a little more guts and passion as the song progresses....a lack of significant dynamic build in the song. It sound like you wrote the melody to the words. And that usually makes for a waek melody. My suggestion is to mute the vox....and listen to the song, while imagining a much stronger melody with larger contours and ear-catchyness...at least in some parts, like the chorus...needs contrast; then do a re-write to that melody, using different words that say the same thing. Sometimes it sounds a little awkward in the phrasing.

Acoustic: nice sound...panned where Neil likes it...IIRC. But there are some phrases and chords that are ending early while you find your fingers. The acoustic is the big thing...and, even panned and overlayed, early let-offs are easily heard. And the continuity of the foundation suffers.

One other thing lacking....the bridge...or a C-part...something that maybe works on another set of related chords...or changes key for a while...and the place where you go up to another spot in you vocal...kick it up a notch. A weak point is the predictability and continuous slow-troll. It tends to get a little boring.

I have a paper in front of me...words and arrangement and progressions in Niel's 'Old Man'. He uses a lot of variances in his progressions...has the big moments. I'm suggesting things fresh on my mind from learning this tune just this week.

For example, your progression is mostly A- G F and E7. On every other cycle, you might want to add a B7 or something for the first two beats of the E7....a very Neil-like thing to do.

Nice recording. Critique is not a put-down...just hoping to alert you to some weak points, to get you to the next level.

Thank you very much for all the comments guys really helpful.
I'm going to try and fix a few of the things and record some new piano and such. Then I will post the new version up.
And thank you for your post jeffmaher, very informative and opened my eyes to quite a few things. Once I perfect this mix to what it's potential is I will definitely give a shot at rewriting it with some bridges and other things to make the verse and chorus differentiality more strong etc.
Thanks everyone!
Matt

Back