Just some quick advice

Frenchc

Here is my dilemna, I own a Tascam Dp-01 which records only 2 tracks at a time. I mainly do acoustic and vocals so the 2 track thing is normally not a problem but i wanted to throw in some drums. i was wondering what is the best way to do this. My ideas are: get a decent size mixer and mix the drums, and squash them into one track on the Dp-01 OR get twon little 4 input mixers like the newer peavey ones I saw so that I could feed the kick and snare into one track and the overheads and stuff into the other track to allow for a little more flexibilty. Which approach is the better one and is there a major problem with one or the other, any comments would be great thanks a lot

Either way you will have to make sure that the drums are mixed correctly going in, because you are going to lose some creative control over them. But with what you have, my vote is to get a mixer and send the drums in as a stereo mix.

IF you have a computer I highly recomend getting a recording program & ditching the tascam, ..mostly because you just dont hear ,but you also see what is going on....You also can buy fruit loops for about $100 (thats a computer program)and you can program the drums however your heart desiers...& if you still persist on using the tascam you could run a line from your sound card into your recorder..Then you should have some pretty decent sounding drums...Fruity loops has decent drum sounds under the realistic kit....

I do own Cakewalk and Acid which i use sometimes just to mix my tracks after I record them through my Tascam because the tascam is pretty limited. Right now I'm just gonna sticki with recording through my tascam becasuse i rarely ever record drums but thanks for the advice

If I only had two inputs to work with, I'd get a nice mix of one overhead, one room mic (very low in the mix) and one snare mic going into one channel. Then I'd put the bass drum in the other channel. Forget about micing the toms and hi hat and only use one overhead (since it won't be stereo anyway). Fewer mics means fewer chances to screw things up, and you can do killer drum tracks with 2-4 mics. Keeping the bass drum separate allows you more room to mess with what can be the trickiest part of the drum kit.

Back