just messing around with an old song...

cello_pudding

i did it a few years ago as an electronic recording of samples and vocoder melodies and harmonies.

then i made a completely acoustic recording..and now i wondered what could happen if i put them both together. with a little pitch shifting and lots of splicing, i pieced them together.

i don't have the raw file of the version with samples and clicks..but i tried to remix all of these to fit okay.

i was just wondering if the mesh works at all.

the mesh starts at the second verse and builds through the second chorus. just jumping to it may make it seem chaotic, so it might be wise to start from the beginning.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13319

Dude, that was kind of scary. When those sounds and voices kicked in I thought my monitors were possessed. Really, that doesn't work for me. Sorry. :o

I love the songs of this guy. Greg L's right, that's creepy but good. Maybe the two versions don't meld at all, but it's ok.

Yeah...scary. I thought you had a real nice guitar tone though, and your voice was pleasant enough, but then it got spooky, which is cool if that's what you were going for. You seriously nailed it.

After reading the previous comments I was expecting that it'd be freaky sounding.

I found it oddly relaxing. Not that music should necessarily be relaxing... it's just a good tune in it's own odd way. Odd is good.:)

Bud don't you think "freaky" is relative?
Sure....it's all relative. But, there a broad spectrum of listeners out there, and to most, this might be a little freaky, wouldn't you say? As previously mentioned, I think both mixes might work a bit better interdependently of each other...that's just my opinion, and this stuff is put out there for people's opinions, right?

I like it a lot. The whole thing is pretty intense. Your melodies always seem to take unexpected turns. I don't know to what extent the mesh "works", but I sure like the fact that you tried it. It almost seems like the samples are meant to fit rhythmically, but they don't quite line up. If they were either much more random rhythm-wise, or conversely, more repetitive it might work better, but I still think it is a great idea and well executed.

That was very unusual. It's not every day that you hear soothing acoustic music juxtaposed with wierd industrial/electronica. It's not the sort of thing you'd want to listen to every day, but as a wierd one-off experiment, it's very cool.

Nice job.

The breaking glass and voices are taking away from your songs. I'm not sure if keeping them really low would help, I would just delete them myself. I don't think they add anything to your song, which by the way sounds great and is mixed very well.

this entire thread was pretty much how i heard the song. each listen it was "oo, i like this"...the next it was "this is crap, scrap it". back and forth i went like this.

i ended up just listening to the electronic track and trying to do the harmony part again. i don't have the raw files and it was pitch shifted from the original to fit the key of this version.

the mesh was just to see if it was okay. i think i'll keep it acoustic since i've already burned and printed about a hundred cds. i'll keep trying.

if you want to hear good music that was always intended to meld acoustic and electronic check out "son lux"

probably check out "throw" before his remixes. he's absolutely brilliant. his best songs aren't on his myspace.

"strangers" may be too much for some people to listen to. it's planned chaos though. mine wasn't. the original was just an electronic art song.

thanks for the feedback...i may try to keep working on this meld with the new track of harmonies without the glass breaking and just put it somewhere so people can download. but for the record, it may be slightly too left field, though i do have some things that approach there.

1.30 in and so far it's really good - the tremulous nature of some of the vocal notes work for me.
The broken glass as counter rhythm idea could really work if it were slightly more rhythmic.
The 'cello is really well done in it's blowfly intensity.
I don't know whether it should have resolved to acoustic again faster or slower.
I did want to hear the vocals again - even if jsut a line or two as reprise.
This is cool. Keep fiddling but don't get too normal on me.
Let me know when you've something up for downloading.

Hi pudding!

That´s a very interesting song you have there. Your guitar skill and your singing is simply amazing. I really like the industrial part, though I thought the voices and the glass-breaking sounds were a little too loud. But after one beautifully haunting minute the industrial part ended abruptly...after that the acoustic-guitar instrumental seemed a bit out of place. My tip would be: Erase the acoustic ending, take the industrial-part and just go with it. I want this song to freak out completely! Make a spooky, unlistenable noise-mess out of it. Have you ever heard about the Super Furry Animals? They have made a song with that kind of ending...it is called "No sympathy". I would love to have this kind of stuff in your track!

Daniel

...Erase the acoustic ending, take the industrial-part and just go with it. I want this song to freak out completely! Make a spooky, unlistenable noise-mess out of it.
I agree with that. No compromise.

I'm thinking of a quote of Erik Satie even though it's not a perfect fit to this... probably just because he had a no-compromise attitude about breaking away from the norm... "When I was young, they said, 'wait... you'll see.' Now I am older. I have seen nothing."

Musicians who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.:p

But seriously, I liked the pudding before all the glass. I thought it was edgy in its own right. Very avant guard before all the breaking glass and the wolfmen and the truck emptying the dumpster and the hippo farts and the . . . ;)

Back