just looking for some useful feedback

wizardof7

Guess I will try to post again when I finish ..

Attachments

• masterformp3.mp3
    5.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Some intro notes have a nasty resonance to them that pops out unattractively. The closer, more intimate vocal sounds very good. Once he starts screaming and backs away from the mic, the vocal is very inconsistent in volume/proximity. Here...

"into" at 1:22, 1:25, 1:32
"not" at 1:31
"crawl into" at 1:35.... etc

These all fade out oddly. Really, probably a singer issue and his way of working the mic, but the track kinda suffers from it. If you have more takes, I'd look at comping that chorus section.

Thanks . These are tracks from a mixing contest . There are no alternatives . I have been struggling with the vocals mostly . Have tried to do some volume automation . Helps a little . I agree it suffers / lol . Due to the rules of the contest I cannot use any non native plugins . Sucks because it would help a lot . Also agree my favorite parts are the intimate vocal lines . I hear those and smile . Then cringe a bit when the chorus roles in . I appreciate your comments .
Oh by the way I use reaper . And I can only use the native plugs . Part of my struggle lol .

Last edited:
What do the drum tracks look like?
I'm noticing that during the chorus, the left crash fills up a lot of space compared to what the right one is doing.

The sibilants are a bit harsh in the verses. These vox do sound like they'd be difficult to work with.

*edit*

Just got to the bridge. You're getting some fuzz on the tails of the words here. Did you automate the volume up so much that the noise floor became audible?

Yeah it was kind of a first run with some of the suggestions I got . Sent me in the right direction . But it still needs some tweaking . Yeah and that damn cymbal on the right side . lol I have tried a few different things . Trouble is that when you take things away it messes with the toms , snare, and kick . LOTS of bleed on the cymbal track . So I will just keep tweaking it . My monitors are kinda weak . lol Always sounds good during mixing . But when I send it through mastering . It changes . Have to find the happy medium . Thanks for your comments , I got something good from them !!

I think the drums maybe need more energy/beef.. try compressing even more so they slam.. it's that kind of genre.. that snare sounds a bit too flat maybe try boosting some highs on it for more of a snap! .. The vocals are good maybe a bit thin though.. I like the arrangement the piano is cool and the arrangement is almsot Nirvana ish .. although your way of singing reminds me of slipknot.. Keep it up man the songwriting is good as is the singing! . Jusst mix some things so they blend better, become fatter and have more energy! .. Gdd song.. Return the feedback? Thanks! :

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...king-l-o-f-i-hiphop-video-395568/#post4460170

I think the drums maybe need more energy/beef.. try compressing even more so they slam.. it's that kind of genre.. that snare sounds a bit too flat maybe try boosting some highs on it for more of a snap! .. The vocals are good maybe a bit thin though.. I like the arrangement the piano is cool and the arrangement is almsot Nirvana ish .. although your way of singing reminds me of slipknot.. Keep it up man the songwriting is good as is the singing! . Jusst mix some things so they blend better, become fatter and have more energy! .. Gdd song.. Return the feedback? Thanks! :

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...king-l-o-f-i-hiphop-video-395568/#post4460170

Hey thanks . Its actually a song from a mixing contest . I usually work with superior drummer . Have way more control with that . I really don't know who the artist is . lol . Part of the rub on this project is that I cannot use ANY of my favorite plugs (nothing outside of native Reaper plugins ) . Certainly would of used a lot of different stuff . But the drums are one kick . two snare mics , three tom mics . A room , overhead ,and cymbal and hihat . There is a LOT of bleed . Part of the reason it's had to back off some of things I don't like without destroying what I do like . However I thought it would be a good exercise . But I really appreciate your comment . All of them have been very helpful .

I liked the sound of the singer's voice.

A strange vocal artifact at 2:22 on the word "perish."

I thought the mix lacked some dynamics. Except for the intro, everything was kind of the same volume. That maybe due to a lack of low end. I thought the bass and kick weren't thumping quite enough.

I heard what andrush said about the unnatural fades on those words. I'm not sure I would have caught it if I hadn't been listening. It may be some over-done mic technique.

There is another mix of this tune . " lend me your ears one more time " It has a bunch of corrections that were suggested . Check it out if you like . I really appreciate all the comments I have received on this tune . Sent me in the right direction

Back