just got ripped off

Inverness

the guy at sam ash told me not to get a preamp because he said my sound card had it and "dynamics mics don't need them anyway"

now I can't record anything :mad:

eraos said:
What sound card do you have?

Realtek AC97... it came with the computer

I realised it does have something "resembling" a preamp with it... And it does help when I turn it on...

But I still get mostly silence

Inverness said:
Realtek AC97... it came with the computer

I realised it does have something "resembling" a preamp with it... And it does help when I turn it on...

But I still get mostly silence
Well you didn't really get ripped off, you just got misinformed.

Go back and raise hell to try and get you a decent discount.

VSpaceBoy said:
Well you didn't really get ripped off, you just got misinformed.

Go back and raise hell to try and get you a decent discount.

Thing is, the Sam Ash is 20 miles away + toll tickets + gas money... :(

I might just call them...

I'd say the person at Sam Ash--as is so often the case anymore--had no idea what he was talking about.

I can remember when the local music stores hired people who had a working knowledge of music--taking the attitude that having people who were knowledgeable about music was more important than having people who knew marketing--because the quality of a good product would sell itself as long as their staff could properly demonstrate it. The owner's attitude was that he could teach a musician how to sell in a week--which is a lot more profitable and easier than trying to teach a salesman how to play music.

YeshuasFan said:
I'd say the person at Sam Ash--as is so often the case anymore--had no idea what he was talking about.

I can remember when the local music stores hired people who had a working knowledge of music--taking the attitude that having people who were knowledgeable about music was more important than having people who knew marketing--because the quality of a good product would sell itself as long as their staff could properly demonstrate it. The owner's attitude was that he could teach a musician how to sell in a week--which is a lot more profitable and easier than trying to teach a salesman how to play music.

Amen, brother

The guy did seem pretty strange

No, "ripped off" is when they sell you something you didn't need... You were just inconvenienced... (They DIDN'T sell you something you DID need).

Still, I understand completely why you're pissed... :mad:

ridiculous..

it's hard to get good advice in a music shop nowadays, you can't trust a salesman to give you the best solution for your needs anymore..

thank god for places like this forum, where you can get a straight answer and good advice..

The setup is such:

Mic --> XLR to 1/4" cable --> 1/4" to 1/8" adapter --> Realtek AC97 soundcard Line In

The problem is such:

I hear no sound.

I've tried everything. I plugged it into the Microphone input, I put all the volume controls up, I checked everything about the soundcard and it's all fine...

I called the guy at Sam Ash that sold it to me, and he simply said it's supposed to be working and he has no idea why it's not...

The microphone works on my amp, that also rules out the cable. The sound card I've checked, and it's in perfect condition.

That only leaves us the adapter... But I highly doubt it's a problem with the adapter...

This is reaaaally frustrating! You guys are my last hope... What should I do???

Well, technically, the SA guy was right, that setup should make sound (although it would be in no way acceptable for a decent recording).

Does your playback program have a means of selecting its input source? Did you uninstall the old card?

does the RealTek have a Microphone input? if so, use that but be careful because it may be easy to overload it. if the Mic input works, try to keep the sound level low enough to avoid clipping.

mic to adaptors won't work to line in. mics aren't line level. mic in might work a lot better, but unknown impedance could make it impossible.

any cheapo pre and adaptors would work better, maybe.

look at the soundcard manual for more info.

is your mic a low imp or hi imp? if it's a high imp you might be ok, but if it's low you need the old xlr to 1/4 transformer, at least. and then use the mic in. but if your mic is a hi-Z (impedance) then ok to use xlr to 1/4" cable.

maybe old news to you, but it's just some basics....

firstly... it should go into the- mic input - (not line) of your sound card. If you dont have a mic input then (you need a preamp.... period) until then use whatever amp you used to test it out with and go
mic -> amp -> LINE LEVEL OUT or DI out // [dont use your speaker out or youll fuk everything to hell] otherwise you need a pre

ermghoti said:
Well, technically, the SA guy was right, that setup should make sound (although it would be in no way acceptable for a decent recording).

Does your playback program have a means of selecting its input source? Did you uninstall the old card?

What do you mean not acceptable for a decent recording??

I don't think so. I use Screenblast Acid 4.0 and I didn't unisntall anything.

gullfo said:
does the RealTek have a Microphone input? if so, use that but be careful because it may be easy to overload it. if the Mic input works, try to keep the sound level low enough to avoid clipping.

Yes it does. I've tested it and, as well as any other plug ever, it doesn't work. :(

arcaxis said:
That's pretty much the reason most of my gear gets bought online lately. Too expensive to drive any distance and get jerked around by someone that doesn't have a clue.
Get informed here, find an online retailer with good price and reputation, and pull out the plastic money card.

True. In retrospect, I think I should've done that.
But then I, if I did, would've bought a Behringer mixer, and I've heard it's not that good at all.
I resort to your opinions now. Should have I bought the Behringer mixer?

junplugged said:
mic to adaptors won't work to line in. mics aren't line level. mic in might work a lot better, but unknown impedance could make it impossible.

any cheapo pre and adaptors would work better, maybe.

look at the soundcard manual for more info.

is your mic a low imp or hi imp? if it's a high imp you might be ok, but if it's low you need the old xlr to 1/4 transformer, at least. and then use the mic in. but if your mic is a hi-Z (impedance) then ok to use xlr to 1/4" cable.

maybe old news to you, but it's just some basics....

I'll keep in mind to put it in the mic input.

What do you mean by adaptors? Like a DI?

The mic's impedance is 200 ohms. I've no idea if that's high or low.
If it's low I have to discard my cable and get an adapter for XLR to 1/4"? That sucks....
If that's high then... there is absolutely no reason for my mic not to be working?

decadex said:
firstly... it should go into the- mic input - (not line) of your sound card. If you dont have a mic input then (you need a preamp.... period) until then use whatever amp you used to test it out with and go
mic -> amp -> LINE LEVEL OUT or DI out // [dont use your speaker out or youll fuk everything to hell] otherwise you need a pre

I tried that with no results...

I guess I need a pre...

Wow, I'm such a noob.
Well, you live and learn I guess...

This is all very frustrating. Sorry for taking it out on you guys and asking so many unrelated and possibly very idiotic questions...

Yeah sam ash! UGH!
My wife and I were in VA last year and she wanted to buy me a present.
So she said "lets stop that sam ash".
I we go and she says "hey you can spend up to $1000.00" dont ask me were she got the cash I still dont know, HAHAH!

SO I walk up to the guy and say "hey If I buy a bunch of stuff could you set me up with a decent package discount?" his reply "WHats a package discount" Like I was coming on to or something....... Did I mention he was kind of a freak?

Anyway after raising some hell and talking to a manager I walked out with $1100.00 worth of gear for $750.00!!! :eek:

I still had enough to get a iRiver MP3 player at best buy which I got on discount because it was discontinued so I could get a SD card for the recorder I bought.

So the point is call the store and talk to the manager firmly and demand some comp for the trouble the sales guy gave you and be sure to tell the manager the guy didnt even try to sell you something. That pisses Samash managers off royaly. Most of them were mars managers (I use to be a mars sales guy, not that I'm to proud of our rep or what the store was)........

"Have fun storming the castle!"

-Blaze

blazingstrings said:
Yeah sam ash! UGH!
My wife and I were in VA last year and she wanted to buy me a present.
So she said "lets stop that sam ash".
I we go and she says "hey you can spend up to $1000.00" dont ask me were she got the cash I still dont know, HAHAH!

SO I walk up to the guy and say "hey If I buy a bunch of stuff could you set me up with a decent package discount?" his reply "WHats a package discount" Like I was coming on to or something....... Did I mention he was kind of a freak?

Anyway after raising some hell and talking to a manager I walked out with $1100.00 worth of gear for $750.00!!! :eek:

I still had enough to get a iRiver MP3 player at best buy which I got on discount because it was discontinued so I could get a SD card for the recorder I bought.

So the point is call the store and talk to the manager firmly and demand some comp for the trouble the sales guy gave you and be sure to tell the manager the guy didnt even try to sell you something. That pisses Samash managers off royaly. Most of them were mars managers (I use to be a mars sales guy, not that I'm to proud of our rep or what the store was)........

"Have fun storming the castle!"

-Blaze

That's a crazy story! You must've walked out of there a happy man!

And I might just do that. I come from a family of very crafted and skilled complainers (to managers and waiters and such :D ).

First, 200 Ohms is a low impedence mic.

Next, while some sort of pre-amp may not be absolutely necessary, they sure are nice because they open up some headroom, among other things.

Second, the microphone imput through the sound card provides the computer equivalent of a condenser mic built into a cheap cassette recorder. It will act to translate soundwaves into electronic/digital impulses for storage to some medium, but it will not be high fidelity.
My suggestion is to research the various forms of digital interface such as those made by tascam, edirol, MOTU, and a whole host of different makes and models ranging in price from $200 - $2000+. Those will plug into your computer through either a firewire or USB port and give you much better transfer and sound quality than a stock RealTEK soundcard. Plus, the interface will allow you to use an XLR balanced connection from the microphone to the interface without having to use line transformers or adapters (either of which diminish the sound quality).

Most of the interface units also come with some type of software for multitrack recording/mixing on your computer. The Sam Ash salesman was not only totally unaware of your needs musically--he also sounds like he is somewhat illiterate with regard to computer technology.

YeshuasFan said:
First, 200 Ohms is a low impedence mic.

Next, while some sort of pre-amp may not be absolutely necessary, they sure are nice because they open up some headroom.

Second, the microphone imput through the sound card provides the computer equivalent of a condenser mic built into a cheap cassette recorder. It well act to translate soundwaves into electronic/digital impulses for storage to some medium, but it will not be high fidelity.
My suggestion is to research the various forms of digital interface such as those made by tascam, edirol. Those will plug into your computer through either a firewire or USB port and give you much better transfer and sound quality than a stock RealTEK soundcard. Plus, the interface will allow you to use an XLR balanced connection from the microphone to the interface without having to use line transformers or adapters (either of which will also diminish the sound quality).

Most of the interface units also come with some type of software for multitrack recording/mixing on your computer. The Sam Ash salesman was not only totally unaware of your needs musically--he also sounds like he is somewhat illiterate with regard to computer technology.

Wow, that all makes so much sense.
Thank you so much for the help.

I am definitely calling the manager first thing tomorrow. I am enraged with this salesman.

EDIT: After looking for those interfaces, I have to say that, as much as they may be the best answer, I have no money to spend on them. My budget is severely limited. :(

Last edited:
Back