Just got my Studio Projects B1

word_play

all i have to say is, wow, what a difference from my older set up, (radioshack mic into mic in)

for the price im really surprised how good this mic is, this board really is right about the B1.

Flatpicker said:
For $79, you can't beat it with a stick!:D

so...if you spent more, you'd likely end up with something a bit more durable that you COULD hit with a stick, or a limb? I didn't realize the B1 was all that fragile.

Maybe I'll look at the MXL line instead. I need equipment that can go the long haul.

mixmkr said:
so...if you spent more, you'd likely end up with something a bit more durable that you COULD hit with a stick, or a limb? I didn't realize the B1 was all that fragile.

Maybe I'll look at the MXL line instead. I need equipment that can go the long haul.

The Studio Projects B1 is a suprisingly good mic. I think it'd survive most any normal use or abuse.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

i also got a new mic cable, i think its NEUTRIK, (is this a good brand?) thats what it says on the end of each connector to replace my radioshack cable, and the quality is so much better. its so quiet.

if

well it seems you like this mic a whole lot word play...my only question would have to be. If i get the mic an pre amp and what not would it make a difference eventhough i haven't upgraded my sound card yet? i'm just curious i've reed the "newbie FAQ" so unless i missed something this is an honest question..

Thanks

Kevlar

i was thinking that because of my generic soundcard i wouldnt get the quality i was looking for but that wasnt the case. im running the B1 into a dbx mini- pre and the results are great, in my opinion of course...

cool man

thanks for the quick reply...i've been pondering that question for awhile but i didn't want to sound stupid...(but i guess it's too late for that..) thanks for the feedback an by the way u can get either right...phantom power or a mic pre amp ? they both do the same thing or i have to get both?

Kevlar:

First, thanks for reading the FAQ! :D I'm working on getting some mic setup info on the FAQ, but don't feel bad for posting. Think of the FAQ as a resource rather than a reason for seasoned forum members to flame you. :)

A preamp will help tremendously over plugging the mic directly into the sound card's mic input. However, if you are using a typical soundblaster card that would come with your computer (even an Audigy platinum and such), you probably don't have 24 bit recording, but instead rather inferior 16 bit.

My advice-Get the mic and the preamp first, plug it into your computer's line in, record, see how it works, and if the sound quality isn't there (i.e. sounds like a low-bit MP3) get yourself a new soundcard. Just remember - a soundcard won't improve your recording techniques! Experiment first before taking the plunge.

-Graham D.
http://www.hr-faq.org

I see you've already got a response...whups! Well, second opinions can't hurt. I agree with word play, though, don't think of the 24 bit as a necessary purchase.

Thanks

I appreciate both of your comments...i will buy the mic an pre amp an try and i will come back and let you know how it worked out...thanks again

Kevlar

Re: cool man

Kevlar said:
thanks for the quick reply...i've been pondering that question for awhile but i didn't want to sound stupid...(but i guess it's too late for that..) thanks for the feedback an by the way u can get either right...phantom power or a mic pre amp ? they both do the same thing or i have to get both?

Get a mic preamp with phantom power (most have it) as you really need a preamp to boost the level of the mic to go into the line input of your soundcard. I think the SP B1 with a preamp like the VTB1 will give you a cheap ($210) but relatively quality combination that you can learn on for a long time to come, and make decent demo quality recordings.

So much more depends on factors other than better equipment than this - your experience and knowledge, room acoustics, performance quality etc. Learn with something like this - then you'll have a better idea of how to upgrade.

Re: Re: cool man

crazydoc said:
Get a mic preamp with phantom power (most have it) as you really need a preamp to boost the level of the mic to go into the line input of your soundcard. I think the SP B1 with a preamp like the VTB1 will give you a cheap ($210) but relatively quality combination that you can learn on for a long time to come, and make decent demo quality recordings.

So much more depends on factors other than better equipment than this - your experience and knowledge, room acoustics, performance quality etc. Learn with something like this - then you'll have a better idea of how to upgrade.

will the VBT-1 give me better quality then the dbx mini-pre?

mixmkr said:

It's and old saying meaning it's a great deal. A play on words, if you will. Really has nothing to do with “beating” the mic – it’s about beating the price/value. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

I don't know - I don't have either one. I've read a lot here and elsewhere about the VTB1. It has a clean solid state preamp and direct input, and you can blend in as little or much tube distortion as you like. Lots of folks like it.

I have an audio buddy and Joemeek MQ3. The VTB1 wasn't out when I got these, but if I had to get something now I'd get the VTB1 in place of the audio buddy.

I don't know anything about the dbx, but if it gives you clean, noiseless gain it certainly should be adequate.

About the VTB-1, I've never used it, and the people who have seem to mostly like it, and a few people are less impressed. I can tell you, if I was looking for a cheap pre, I'd get the Audiobuddy or better, a DMP3. The DMP3 is really impressive at its price point. List- $199. GC will sell it to you for $150, no problem, $120 if you really can grind them. For this, you get over 60 dB of relatively clean gain, and My God, vu meters, which I happen to like.-Richie

Back