Just got my Studio Projects B1

There's no "best" color to the dot system as far as sound.
It's simply to help better match two B1's so that you can use
approximately the same amount of pre gain for each one.

morindae, I'm not familiar with the "M63", however, if it's out of
Audio-Technica's ATM series, like the ATM63HE, that's supposed to
be a fine dynamic vocal microphone.
In about six weeks or so, the price on the VTB-1 is probably going
down. Then you could sell the Audio Buddy to upgrade to it.
It'll make a big difference, especially with your dynamic microphone.

Chris

Chessparov, I want a condenser mic because I am hoping it will give me more depth than the ATM63, which as you say, is a good vocal mic. Ultimately, I know this is a stupid question, because as Dick Flansen has stated, they are all winners. I just wanted to start with something that will give me a more professional sound when tracking vocals, and will enable me to sit the vocal in the mix more easily.

mgraffeo said:
BTW, the colored dot on the box of SP mics will match mics pretty closely. It has to do with what the tolerance is on the frequency response curve. If a given mic is slightly higher, it gets one color. If it's slightly lower, it gets a different one. And if it's pretty much on the line, it gets the third color.

Just wanted to clarify that it doesn't really refer to the sensitivity of the mic.

-mg

I think not. That would be too good to be true. It does refer to sensitivity.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=56368&highlight=studio+projects+color

ambi said:
So what would be the best coloured dot to look out for?

-35dB +/-1dB, is marked by a green dot on the packaging
-36~-37dB, is marked by a black dot on the packaging
-33~-34dB, is marked by a red dot on the packaging

DJL said:

If this is so, then another way of writing it would be

-35+/- 1.0 = green
-33.5+/- 0.5 = red
-36.5+/- 0.5 =black

so it looks like the red or black are more closely matched (very closely matched) than the green? These tolerances don't really seem realistic for the price.

BTW, regarding the 67 vs B1 question, I have both, and I like the 67 much better for my voice. However, I have a very bland, boring and neutral timbre to my voice, and the 67 gives it at least a little pleasing color. The B1 seems a much more neutral mic, and does a good job of making my voice even more unexciting.

crazydoc said:
If this is so, then another way of writing it would be

-35+/- 1.0 = green
-33.5+/- 0.5 = red
-36.5+/- 0.5 =black

so it looks like the red or black are more closely matched (very closely matched) than the green? These tolerances don't really seem realistic for the price.

BTW, regarding the 67 vs B1 question, I have both, and I like the 67 much better for my voice. However, I have a very bland, boring and neutral timbre to my voice, and the 67 gives it at least a little pleasing color. The B1 seems a much more neutral mic, and does a good job of making my voice even more unexciting.

I asked Alan about this a while back. Here's how it went.

Originally posted by DJL
I love my two C3 mic's, but now I'm a little confused about the matching of the two diaphragm capsules inside the C3, what is your accepted margin of difference between the two capsules inside the Studio Projects C3 mic? Thanks again.

Alan Hyatt's reply
Well most manufacturers accept a +/- 2db sensitivity spec. The problem is, there can be a 4db difference between two mics. Even Neumann has this spec on many models.

One way I found to resolve the problem was to split the tested capsules into three sensitivity classes and code them with a color. For example, a capsule that has a spec of:

This way to get a matched pair, you simply buy two mics with the same code or color dot on the outside of the packaging, and you are within 1dB.

As for the LSD-2, it is being done for you within a spec of 1/2 db, so they are about as close as you are going to get. I hope that helps.

<snip>

And as Alan said, I hope this helps you. It did me. Oh, and I like the V67G also. :)

Brent's on line right now, and I'm sure he can confirm this, so will Alan. Do a search, it's on this board.

DJL

I don't mean to question your veracity or what he told you - I'm just wondering if the specs can possibly be this tight, and if the red and black dots are tighter spec'd than the green (cause mine is green)

crazydoc said:
DJL

I don't mean to question your veracity or what he told you - I'm just wondering if the specs can possibly be this tight, and if the red and black dots are tighter spec'd than the green (cause mine is green)

Alan didn't say if that was just an "example" or the facts, so I'm not sure. Either way I'm sure your geen dot mic work well, I have two B3's from before the colored dot system, and their great.

Alan, Brent, Help?

Sorry guys... I am in Germany at the Frankfurt show....

The correct sensitivity should read...

-33~-34dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a red dot on the packaging
-35~-36dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a green dot on the packaging
-36~-37dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a black dot on the packaging

I do not have more time right now, but myself or Brent will get back later...Sorry for any typo error's, but the spec is tight when you get the same colored dot as a pair. :D

I stand corrected. my bad for disseminating incorrect info. Thanks crazydoc, DJL, and Alan for setting me straight!

-mg

alanhyatt said:
Sorry guys... I am in Germany at the Frankfurt show....

The correct sensitivity should read...

-33~-34dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a red dot on the packaging
-35~-36dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a green dot on the packaging
-36~-37dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a black dot on the packaging

I do not have more time right now, but myself or Brent will get back later...Sorry for any typo error's, but the spec is tight when you get the same colored dot as a pair. :D

Thank you for the correcton, have fun at the show, and I hope you sell, sell, and sell some more.

mgraffeo said:
I stand corrected. my bad for disseminating incorrect info. Thanks crazydoc, DJL, and Alan for setting me straight!

-mg

No sweat, I'm here to learn what I can too. As for your question about the V67 and B1, their both nice mic's. To really know which one would be best for your voice, you'd have to A/B them side by side to find out.

Back