just got cubase and I am lost

cwr89

I got a new card, Emu-0404. it came with cubase and some other stuff.

first off, help.

I read a starter file that just had me get it so I could record. and I tryed some. sounds good.

here is the problem, I know not how to do anything else. are there any like tutorials you all could point me to?

I really want to learn how to use this program!

I have cubase vst 4 (thats what the icon says atleast)

thanks,
~Casey

well, I just spent some bigger bucks on musiciansfriend.com on a nady 14 channel mixer and 6 mics.

I want to record my band, I know all about the mixing, we have done live stuff some and gottten it to a good level. but I want to go and do some real recording. add some good effects... make the sound sound fuller

~Casey

That is more of a recording techniques question. If you know how to record and mix in cubase, you are good. Hang out in the recording techniques section, that will help.

That soundcard only has two "Ins". So your 14 channel mixer isn't going to do you much good unless you plan on submixing everything on the way in? Basically a live demo.

Wireneck said:
That soundcard only has two "Ins". So your 14 channel mixer isn't going to do you much good unless you plan on submixing everything on the way in? Basically a live demo.

yep, I plan on running all my guitars and drums and things through it and then use the right and left main out. I do not plan on doing everything on sepereate channels then mixing in the pc.

I plan on 3 guitars micd and 2 overheads on the drums and then 1 for vocal.

~Casey

but I want to go and do some real recording. add some good effects... make the sound sound fuller

Not knocking the live approach but this sort of thing is achieved by having full control over every track. If it was me I would start with the drums and maybe do something like a Mono OH with a mic on the kick and let those be the first 2 tracks. If your really good with the live mixing thing you might make one track the mono OH submixed with snare/toms and leave the kick on a seperate track. The submix doesn't give you many options at mix time but thats sort of a trade off for only have 2 inputs.
From there I would overdub guitar/bass/vocals. This will give you the most control as far as applying effects/eq and it will yield better sounding results if you know what your doing.

thanks that really helps.

I know how to do mixing and all, I do it all the time, I just want to be able to make OK sounding tracks for demo CDs and what not. I even might charge some of the bands at my school for demo recordings. I know most of them have no mixers, PA systems, Mics, anything really needed for live preformances, and I could acomidate for that.

thanks
Casey

cwr89 said:
thanks that really helps.

I know how to do mixing and all, I do it all the time, I just want to be able to make OK sounding tracks for demo CDs and what not. I even might charge some of the bands at my school for demo recordings. I know most of them have no mixers, PA systems, Mics, anything really needed for live preformances, and I could acomidate for that.

thanks
Casey
That's what wireneck was getting at, the recordings you do with the live aproach will only sound just OK. If these guys you're going to record don't have mixers, or PA's and such it's probably because they have no money so how they going to pay you? At any rate, you may want to look into getting a sound card with more ins and outs like a Delta 1010 to accomodate your new mixer.

You have the gear you should at least take the time to do what it takes to produce a quality demo (even if you only do it for your own band). Sure it will take a lot longer but I bet you will be happier with the results.
You sound pretty set on doing it your way so all I can say is have fun with it. Maybe when you listen back to the 2 track live mix and you think its lacking that "certain something" you will remember my post.

hehe,

the thing is, I did this back when I was using a creative soundblaster card.

it was 1 track. mono... and it was set up all the same way, it sounded ok. infact the band that I did the recording for using that was so happy with the quality they had me record 4 different "albums"

I have looked athe the delta 1010 and I like the way it looks, something like 10 chanels of L/R RCA inputs and then 8 ballenced XLR/phone inputs.

yes, but my parrents got me the 0404 for christmas, and the 1010 is relitivaly expencive.

I am poor teenager and I have a low paying job.

maybe that can come later on.

thanks for your imput though, they helped.
~Casey

Back