Just got a Tascam 32 and I'm wondering

Deaaaath

Sorry if this question gets asked a lot around here, but I'm not very good at using the search function successfully so...
I just received a Tascam 32 in the mail today, and everything appears to be in good shape... but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the specifics of this stuff and I was wondering if it should be standard protocol to bring the unit into my local Tascam repair center (just ten minutes away!) for a check up on calibration and allignment?

If you are not sure how to do it yourself...then it wouldn't hurt, especially after a road trip.

That would be a great thing to do. As long as they are reputable. It can take a while to fully set up a machine, so dont be surprised if it will cost a bit. If they have a fresh test tape I think a fair price would be about $150.
VP

I think it's a good idea to have it checked out , but I would at least check the functions and sound out for yourself to hear what it sounds like. As Pete said it can get to be a little pricey when getting things back to specs so keep that in mind. If you don't mind me being nosy, what was the price with shipping? I ask this because I have been looking on junkbay for a 32 and will soon make the plunge. The 32 will go well with my 38. Thanks.

I recently bought a Tascam 38 and it came in pieces (almost), some bent damage from shipping, etc. I fixed most of it myself: capstan belt, pinch roller, table height adjustment.

It seems to record and playback fine but I have not had it calibrated or aligned yet. I just started testing levels on the deck.

The repair shop wants $170 here (Chicago area) to calibrate/align, but I think I'm going to learn the procedures myself.

Diy

I recently bought a Tascam 38 and it came in pieces (almost), some bent damage from shipping, etc. I fixed most of it myself: capstan belt, pinch roller, table height adjustment.

It seems to record and playback fine but I have not had it calibrated or aligned yet. I just started testing levels on the deck.

The repair shop wants $170 here (Chicago area) to calibrate/align, but I think I'm going to learn the procedures myself.

I have just learned to do my own machines in the last year. It does help to have experience in electronics as I have had since high school, class of 83, But the procedures are not that hard to do. You do need some test gear, oscilloscope, ac voltmeter capable of frequencies up to 20K, audio tone generator, and lots of other miscellaneous hand tools. And of course, an expensive test tape. I have about $2000 in test equipment and test tapes. You can probably get by with less to start but you will eventually want it all. I have been working on about 5 different machines, all Tascams, between myself and a friend. We have another 5 to align in the future. It is very rewarding when everything goes right. When it doesnt you have to just take a break.
VP:D

I tried to PM you and couldn't. I have the manual for the 38 if you need a copy. PM me if you need it.

I tried to PM you and couldn't. I have the manual for the 38 if you need a copy. PM me if you need it.

I have my original manual from back in the 80's when I bought my first 38 so I'm good there. I sold my original 38 in '94 and just bought another one recently.

The manual has got some real good tech info. I pretty much understand a lot of it, but most comes from fear of screwing the machine up. I have to get an alignment tape yet. The one I saw from MRL was about $250 or something like that.

Thanks for the manual copy offer though.

If I remember right Beck had a few cal tapes for sale. You might want to PM him and see if he still has them. When it comes to analog thees guys know so much it's not even funny.

Back